Monday, December 29, 2014

GLUCOSE 114 mg/dL

Five days after my blood tests were performed during my 'wellness' checkup, my blood work results arrived via email.    At the doctors office I was advised that my blood pressure was a bit elevated.  Today I have learned that my bloodwork results came back normal with the exception of my GLUCOSE levels.   The normal range for me should been between 70-99 for a fasting glucose reading.   My results were 114 mg/dL which is a bit high.   Continued high or worsening glucose levels can lead to diabetes.   So this is no joke.   The email from the doctor indicated that this is "commonly caused by being over weight and [having] a sedentary lifestyle."  The communication from the doctor indicated that I am "advised to improve TLC efforts. (Low saturated fat, low carbohydrate, well balanced diet; engage in aerobic exercise for at least 20 minutes, 3 times per week; and achieve and maintain a normal weight."   The doctor suggests that the test is repeated in 3 months.    I already have a followup exam scheduled in two months, I will ask to be retested at that time.

It is going to take a little while to "achieve and maintain a normal weight."   I am glad that I have already started. I believe that I am already well on my way to eating a more sensible, well-balanced diet.   And I intend to follow the advice to engage in aerobic exercise for at least 20 minutes, 3 times per week. I have great confidence that my test results will be much improved the next time.  I am always encouraging my own daughter to "keep her grades up" as each semester in 7th grade progresses.   It is time for me to heed my own advice.   I need to get my blood test scores up, well, in this case, get my glucose levels down.   There is no question in my mind that my next tested result will be radically different.

GLUCOSE molecular formula C6H12O6

No comments: