Sunday, July 5, 2015

LOST WEIGHT? WHERE DID IT GO?

On Friday evening while sharing some ZACHLAWI FIG ARAK with a friend at my neighborhood Chabad House - I was asked a question.  My friend, who asked me the question knew the answer  - he was curious if I knew.  He asked me:

WHEN ONE LOSES WEIGHT, WHERE DOES IT GO?

The first thing about this question that surprised me is that I had not previously considered this before. I quickly gave it some thought and I instantly remembered Albert Einstein's formula:


I must admit, for a brief moment I was basking in my own brilliance. There is a minor problem with my conclusion.   The amount of mass (M) locked up in the 94 pounds that I have lost when mulitplied by the the square of the speed of light would probably generate enough energy (E) to erase North America off the map.   I was sure that if I had been the source of a nuclear detonation I would have remembered it.

I was stumped.  I had no idea where the fat went.  Another thing that I remembered from High School Physics was that Matter can neither be created or destroyed.   The amazing thing about Einstein's equation is that it defines matter and energy as different states of the same thing. Getting back to the original question....94 pounds of fat can't simply disappear into thin air. (Actually, that IS EXACTLY what happens - let me explain)

We all use the expression that we 'burn' fat when we exercise.  And that it precisely what we are doing. We need to remember what we learned in High School Chemistry class now.  Fat cells (triglycerides) are made of predominantly Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen.



When tryglycerides (fat) 'burn' it is turned into water  H2O and carbon dioxide CO2.  When we exhale we rid our bodies of H20 and CO2.   In other words, it is actually true.... 

THE FAT DOES 'DISAPPEAR' INTO THIN AIR.  

Now the downside of this (for some) will be that those who shed pounds are contributing to the addition of CARBON DIOXIDE into the atmosphere - and therefore contributing to GLOBAL WARMING! Now just calm down for a moment! Please allow me to share this one esoteric fact with you... 20,000 years ago North America was covered in glacial ice that was as much as two miles thick.  It melted.  I guess the temperature increased in North America. I know that the 'global warmists' have largely abandoned the warming part of the theory and have mutated into 'climate changists.' Here's the deal: Throughout the 4+ billion years that Earth has been circling our Sun - the climate has changed. And during those times when the temperatures increased it was not due to man-made global warming.  Capisce?  

Capisce (pronounced cah-PEESH) is an Italian word that is used in American slang to say "got it?" or "understand?" 

CONCLUSIONS

• FEEL FREE TO LOSE WEIGHT.
• FEEL FREE TO BURN FAT CELLS AND EXHALE CO2 INTO THE ATMOSPHERE.
• FEEL FREE TO HAVE NO GUILT WHILE YOU ARE DOING THIS.
• EARTH WILL BE FINE.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 Saturday MENU
breakfast apples, oatmeal, cacao goji, wild ginger harvest trail mix      690 calories
lunch       codfish, brussel sprouts, polish sausage, trail mix                  954 calories
dinner      Hawaiian pork, brussel sprouts, granola, medjool dates        1081 calories
SNACK   THREE RED DELICIOUS APPLES                                     285 calories

total calories consumed 3011 calories

calories burned
125 minutes YMCA PRECOR EFX ELLIPTICAL 4:3 INTERVAL TRAINING 1618 CALORIES


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

125 minutes, 10.18 miles, 1618 calories burned

Saturday net calories 1393 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Einstein's Equation - Let's do the Math...



E = energy (measured in Joules)
m = mass (measured in kilograms)
c = speed of light (186,282 miles/second)
      scientific analysis uses SI (international system of units) which is 300,000,000 meters per second

my weight loss so far, 94 pounds  (309lbs-215lbs=94lbs)
1 lb-453.6g, therefore 94 lbs x 453.6g/lb =
42,738.4 grams = 42.74kg (kilograms)


E=mc2
E= (42.74kg)(3.00 × 108m/s)2
E= 7.76 × 1018 J
E = 38.4 × 1018 J
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with scientific method of writing large numbers.  Let me help... 
3.84 × 1018 J = 3,840,000,000,000,000,000
or roughly 3.84 septillion Joules of energy.
It is clear to me at this point that I have not cleared anything up just yet.  If you are still following me....I urge you to read on....

Everyone is vaguely familiar with TNT. It is the explosive always selected by the Coyote to wipe out the Road Runner - not that that has ever worked out too well for the coyote!)  
1 kiloton of TNT = 4.18×1012 Joules or rather 4,184,000,000,000 Joules.

My weight loss so far = 3.84 x 1018 J
3.84 x 1018 J x 1 kT TNT/ 4.18 x 1012 J = 918,660 kilotons of TNT


The amount of energy that I lost, 94 pounds is equal to the energy found in 918,660 Kilotons of TNT.   Again...what does this mean?  It is common knowledge that the bomb used against Nagasaki in Japan had the equivalent of 21 kilotons of explosives. Therefore the weight that I have lost, 94 lbs, 42.74 kilograms, 3.84 septillion Joules of energy has 43,745 times more energy than the bomb that was used to level Nagasaki.

In my case, the this energy was harmlessly released into the atmosphere as water vapor and Carbon Dioxide.  IS SCIENCE COOL OR WHAT?


* I would like to credit Joshua Carrol, writing for UNIVERSE TODAY, for providing the template for me to plug in my own numbers to try to decipher Einstein's Equation.  His original article can be found here: http://www.universetoday.com/114617/a-fun-way-of-understanding-emc2/

A Fun Way of Understanding E=mc2

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Some ICE FACTS lifted from wikipedia:
The Laurentide Ice Sheet was a massive sheet of ice that covered millions of square miles, including most of Canada and a large portion of the northern United States, multiple times during Quaternary glacial epochs. It last covered most of northern North America between c. 95,000 and c. 20,000 years before the present day. At times, its southern margin included the modern sites of New York City and Chicago, and then followed quite precisely the present course of the Missouri River up to the northern slopes of the Cypress Hills, beyond which it merged with the Cordilleran Ice Sheet. The ice coverage extended approximately as far south as 38 degrees latitude in the mid-continent.

The maximum extent of glacial ice in the north polar area during the Pleistocene period included the vast Laurentide ice sheet in eastern North America.This ice sheet was the primary feature of the Pleistocene epoch in North America, commonly referred to as the ice age. It was up to 2 mi (3.2 km) thick in Nunavik, Quebec, Canada but much thinner at its edges where nunataks were common in hilly areas. It created much of the surface geology of southern Canada and the northern United States, leaving behind glacially scoured valleys, moraines, eskers and glacial till. It also caused many changes to the shape, size, and drainage of the Great Lakes. As but one of many examples, near the end of the last ice age, Lake Iroquois extended well beyond the boundaries of present day Lake Ontario, and drained down the Hudson River into the Atlantic Ocean.



Can someone please tell me how the scaremongers on the global warming team explain this?   Why did the glaciers that covered Canada and Northern parts of America melt?

Were the Native American Indians driving around in their SUV's and causing the glaciers covering North America to melt?   I am aware that this might seem like a stupid question. Please remember, that it is said that there are no stupid questions - just stupid people.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

(Today's blog post is my best work!  This post (#201) since December 2014 is my favorite post.  THANKS, JACK!)








3 comments:

shoom said...

Pretty fun reading how much energy was in the weight loss but just a quick correction. Your chemistry teacher is half correct. In the chemistry world energy and mass can't be created or destroyed, but in the nuclear world it actually can! Einstein's equation is for what's called rest energy. And that mass can be converted into energy. Nuclear reactions are just much much much more energetic than chemical ones which happen in the body.

Marc Jacobs said...

My friend, shoom is a bonafide scientist. I should be pleased that he only found fault with one of my statements regarding matter and energy. I wonder if he checked my math as i converted energy within 94 lbs of fat into the equivalent amount of energy in TNT. He is a thorough guy - so since I did't get any corrections - I am going to assume that all my math checked out! Marc

shoom said...

Math was quite right. Very thankful you are not a nuclear reactor. Found this fact online you and readers may find interesting:
0.1 Approximate percentage of the mass of a uranium atom converted to energy during nuclear fission. The amount of matter converted to energy in the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima was about 700 milligrams, less than one-third the mass of a U.S. dime