Monday, July 6, 2015

YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BY EXERCISING (OR CAN YOU?)

Before anyone embarks on a weight loss journey - they are often faced with two facts:
They eat too much 
They exercise too little

When I made the decision on December 24, 2014 to end my 'career' as 309 lb blob - I was under the impression that exercise was not going to be an important contributor to my weight loss.

Initially, I had planned on not getting involved with treadmills, ellipticals or stair masters.  I figured I didn't have time.  I definitely didn't have the desire. Nothing about it seemed enjoyable.  And why would anyone do anything for which they believed that they have no time and if they were to do it, they would hate it?

Things change.

Along the way, I learned to enjoy exercise.  I learned to crave it.  I learned to enjoy watching my endurance skyrocket.  (It is easy to skyrocket up when one starts at zero)  I learned to experience 'runners high.'    I do truly love starting my day with a workout.  A good workout can can set a tone for the day.  All the little things that life throws our way, all the obstacles feel a little less intimidating when one has already hit the gym.

HOMER SIMPSON: 

'When exercising, start at your own, comfortable pace.'


So, what's the deal?  Why is it considered a myth that you can't really lose weight from working out? One reason, is that it takes a lot of 'workout' to equal the equivalent calories found in a slice of cake, or a bowl of ice cream.   Everyone works out at their own pace.   One person can spend 30 minutes on a treadmill and 'burn' 150 calories - another can spend the same 30 minutes on the same treadmill and burn 1000 calories.  This difference is explained by the intensity of the workout.  I have seen for myself that my workouts on the elliptical machine have doubled in 'caloric burning efficiency' in a few short months.

Most people that are starting a weight loss program gingerly step onto a treadmill and spend half an hour and the calories burned might register 150 or 200.  If this is repeated 4 times per week... Or for that matter, every day... It barely registers.  It is possible that an entire weeks worth of exercise can be wiped out with a bagel.

Another reason that it is said that it is difficult to lose weight from exercise is that those who exercise have an increased appetite and/or they eat more as a reward for exercising so much.  Bingo.  That's me.  I have recently been exercising like mad, spending two hours on the elliptical machine many days.  I have found that I am eating a bit more.  I do have an elevated appetite.  And you know what...?  It's OK, I exercise not only to lose weight but to increase my endurance and for my general heart health.  I exercise to build my leg muscles.  I exercise to tone my entire body.  And this IS happening.  You cannot imagine how happy I am with my workout program.

My goal was to workout for 30 minutes per day, 7 days per week.  Recently I have been clocking two hours per day, seven days per week.  I am not sure that this is a a great idea... At some point I will ratchet it down a bit... In the winter, it is difficult to pop out of bed into a cold bedroom or seriously freezing outdoors to get to a car to drive to a gym.  In the summertime this is not an issue.  Nothing prevents me from popping out of bed and getting to the gym.  I know that I am eating more in response to a fairly aggressive workout schedule - so be it.  I am liking all the positive results from the workouts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 Sunday MENU
breakfast  apples, cacao goji, wild ginger harvest mix, oatmeal     962 calories
lunch        cod, salad bar, Kahuna Trail Mix,                                  1000 calories
dinner       oven roasted brussel sprouts, apples, vanilla granola     708 calories
SNACK   GRANOLA, ginger chews                                               635 calories

total calories consumed 3305 calories

calories burned
125 minutes YMCA PRECOR EFX ELLIPTICAL 4:3 INTERVAL TRAINING 1639 CALORIES


I keep on improving...Yesterday I logged 10.27 miles which is a new personal record for this particular workout.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Sunday net calories 1666 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments: