Wednesday, July 22, 2015

NOT ALL CARBOHYDRATES ARE CREATED EQUAL

Recently I was reviewing the 'nutrition information' of a flavorful zero calorie drink - Vitaminwater Zero.  I was astounded to see that it had 5 CARBOHYDRATES as the 2.5 servings per bottle each contained 2 grams of carbohydrates.  Did this mean that I was drinking calories? If I was drinking calories that would be one of the dumbest things one can do if one is trying to lose or maintain weight.



How could I have missed this?  I had a quick panic as I tried to calculate how many of these drinks I had had in the previous weeks.  A quick search on the internet allayed my fears.


I was under the impression that it was a fact that one could know that 1 carbohydrate equaled 4 calories.   It turns out that this is mostly true - but not completely true.  

The explanation lies in the fact that this product is sweetened with stevia and erythritol.   These are plant-based, ultra low calorie natural sweeteners.  The carbs are from the erythritol which is a sugar alcohol.   Erythritol provides 0.2 calories per gram of carbohydrate.  This is way, way under the 4 calories per gram that most carbohydrates provide.  As the calories are so very low - it is as if it contains zero calories.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 Tuesday MENU

breakfast  three poached eggs, oatmeal, center cut bacon, corn thins       820 calories 
lunch        Whitefish, mango, granola, medjool dates, yogurt almonds  1076 calories
dinner       Codfish, mango, Kahuna Mix, fruit                                         972 calories
SNACK   two apples                                                                                 814 calories



total calories consumed 3683 calories

calories burned
HOME STAR TRAC ELLIPTICAL 92 minutes, level 20                     2307 calories

CALORIES BURNED 2307 CALORIES
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Tuesday net calories 1376 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments: