Friday, March 3, 2017

SINCERE IGNORANCE AND CONSCIENTIOUS STUPIDITY

I have been thinking about the left lately. Why are they acting so crazy? I was thinking about the expression that goes something like: There is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal. The Democrats, the democratic party, the left has been badly wounded in the wake of 8 years of our previous president. Our young, good-looking leader maintained his popularity over eight years even though virtually every time that voters had a chance to express their opinions about his actual policies they overwhelmingly rejected them. The Democrat party has been wiped out of state legislatures, the Democrat party has been greatly reduced in the number of governorships, and they lost their majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives under the leadership of the 44th President of the United States. They are mad. And the definition of mad that I am using is the one that is more associated with crazy rather than angry - although both work. I found this quote (below) from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. which expresses how I think about my political opponents. Surely they think  the same of me. And that's where we are in America today. Each side thinks the other side is ignorant and dangerous. It is hard to see how this ends amicably. The last Civil War in the United States ended after much bloodshed. Are we better than those Americans?  Are we smarter than those Americans who needed a war and military defeat and military victory to settle differences? I see little evidence that that is the case. 


.

Your Food Diary For:

BREAKFAST Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g
Cinnamon and Spice oatmeal   510 105 6 12 720 51

510 105 6 12 720 51
L U N C H
Sushi - Spicy California Roll 300 47 9 7 866 11
Sushi - Philadelphia Roll 450 82 8 12 654 8

750 129 17 19 1,520 19
D I N N E R
Taco Bell - Hard Shell Tacos 680 48 40 32 1,240 4

680 48 40 32 1,240 4
S N A C K S
Chocolate Birthday Cake, 375 54 17 9 0 62

375 54 17 9 0 62
Totals 2,315 336 80 72 3,480 136
Your Daily Goal 2,040 255 68 103 2,300 76
Remaining -275 -81 -12 31 -1,180 -60
Calories
kcal
Carbs
g
Fat
g
Protein
g
Sodium
mg
Sugar
g


3 comments:

Keebler said...

It was interesting to read your views about "the madness of the left". I do agree that some are acting crazy (like on the Berkeley campus). They, however, only represent the fringe. The lunatic fringe NEVER represent the heart of any movement. You might note that the massive Women's March on Jan 20th was entirely peaceful. The music was great, too!

You stated that the Democrats have been wiped out of state legislatures, governorships, and both houses of Congress. (And White House and Supreme Court...egads.) Perhaps it didn't happen in the manner that you stated, though... Republicans have always been better about turning out for midterm elections. And after two years of Obama's progressive administration --remember: progressive = wonderful, in my book-- we got even more complacent! Obama's approval rating were very high, so we thought we were safe. Once the legislatures were taken over by the Tea Party (using the very same massive grassroot techniques that Obama himself used, ironically!), the gerrymandering began. Through massive redrawing of voting districts, GOP secured a greater and greater majority and performed further gerrymandering. It's a snowball effect. There seems little way out of it now, and we are having to sit back and watch as all the progress that we appreciated during Obama's administration gets reset. By the end of this year, it may feel more like 1948 than 2018. That probably sounds pretty exciting to a healthy straight, white man or woman, like you or me. But to anyone else who doesn't fit that narrow mold, it is rather depressing. I care those other people.

It's sad to see you pondering a civil war. Frankly I've only heard conservative people speak of this, usually in a much more disturbing manner than you did (e.g. "My bullets are getting dusty!" they say) Yikes. I don't think we will go there ever again. If we do, it will be a short war because your side is armed to the hilt. :) Disappointing that you see my side as crazy, rather than frustrated. I obviously don't think ill of you; otherwise I wouldn't frequent your blog. Also I never once thought Tea Party was insane or stupid when they did their angry protesting in 2009 & 2010. I just thought they were ill-informed about the health care system. (I still think that!) And when some of them got violent or racist, I saw them as the fringe rather than the soul of the movement.

Good luck with your meal blog. I enjoy reading it and wish you continued success.

Marc Jacobs said...

It was a joy to read such a thoughtful comment from someone who clearly mostly disagrees with me on politics. The thing that bothered me the most about your note was in your penultimate sentence, speaking of the times when the Tea Party was violent or racist. Now, I do live in the real world, so I can easily imagine that there are individuals in any group that are violent and/or racist. But it is possible that you can recount one verifiably true incident of any Tea Party gathering where there was a whiff of violence or racism? I don't think you could because I don't think there was. You are right that the rioters on universities represent a fringe. My argument is that this fringe group is perhaps larger than anyone cares to admit. I am also furious at college administrators who refuse to accept their responsibility for keeping peace on campus. You got rioters, you arrest them. Problem solved. How many conservative fringe groups riot when liberal speakers come to campus? We both know the answer to that question. None. Thank you for writing. I always wonder who might be reading my daily musings. In a sense, I write each day to amuse myself, and take great joy when others are amused, positively and/or negatively by my thoughts. I want to compliment you on one thing more. Your comment was written without name-calling. In my experience, this is the most commonly used argument by liberals. Even Obama used this trick when he referred to the Tea Party as 'Tea Baggers' I bet you don't want to hear this - you might be in the middle of a personal evolution to conservatism - even if you are completely unaware of it yourself.

Keebler said...

Ha ha! For me to become conservative, I'd need a bigger bank account and a severe head injury. I'm a pro-globalization feminist who believes there are far, far too many guns in our nation and too much religion in our politics.

As for violence & racism at Tea Party protests, it is not fake news. (That mantra has worked rather effectively for the right lately, eh? It makes everyone sound like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes.) Here are just a handful of examples. I have plenty more.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100325210946/http://democraticleader.house.gov:80/media/press.cfm?pressReleaseID=4019
http://www.heraldnet.com/news/racist-epithets-fly-at-tea-party-health-protest
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2010/03/24/dollar-bill-throw.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/09/AR2010040903716.htmlhttp://web.archive.org/web/20100323052239/http://www.buffalonews.com:80/2010/03/19/993040/brick-thrown-through-window-in.html

Of course, I don't have first-hand evidence, because I didn't attend such meetings, as you probably guessed. Ten years ago everyone didn't carry a video camera in his back pocket, like we do today! Please don't deny that any bad behavior happened; doing so denies that fringes exist... on EVERY side. I acknowledge my party's "bad apples". I wish you would, also.