Friday, July 3, 2015

VARIETY'S THE VERY SPICE OF LIFE, THAT GIVES IT ALL ITS FLAVOR

William Cowper (26 November 1731 - 25 April 1800) was an English poet.  And I obviously only just learned this as I prepared my blog entry as he is credited with the expression:

Variety's the very Spice of Life, 
That gives it all its Flavor



If this is true, and we all know that it is... I had a lot of spices for my expenditure of $4.65 last evening at Whole Foods.  I am 'mastering' the bulk foods section.  That the bulk section is self-serve makes it absolutely no problem to bulk up on variety - without actually having to request of another human being to prepare a food item with .05 pounds of anything!  

Last evening, I purchased ten (10) different items... The grand total invoice was $4.65.  The grand total in calories was much more - 1002 calories

Here is how I, your loyal weight loss blogger and part time food psychopath nut job did it....

MEDJOOL DATES                120 calories        .84
WASABI GREEN PEAS          91 calories       .40
YOGURT ALMONDS            110 calories       .30
ORIGINAL CORN SNACK     14 calories        .24
SUN DRIED FIG                       56 calories       .27
TAMARI PUMPKIN SEEDS    90 calories       .31
 DATE COCONUT ROLLS       58 calories        .19
 Strawberry Hemp GRANOLA 238 calories        .46
DRIED MANGO SLICES        100 calories      1.20
 BLACK MISSION FIGS            56 calories        .40
 SALES TAX                   ZERO CALORIES       .14
  DIME REBATE (NOT USING PAPER BAG)   -.10
  GRAND TOTAL                1002 CALORIES   $4.65

There are easier ways of spending $4.65 and consuming 1002 calories for dinner.  But, as William Cowper said apparently sometime in the 1700's - VARIETY'S THE VERY SPICE OF LIFE, THAT GIVES IT ALL ITS FLAVOR.

OK, This was two days in a row that I reported in great detail how I spent my money at WHOLE FOODS.   I plan on continuing to eat this way as I really enjoy it - but perhaps not spending so much time recording it here in quite this detail.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

 THURSDAY MENU

breakfast  STEEL CUT OATS, TWO RED DELICIOUS APPLES     640 calories
lunch        granola, chewy ginger, ginger harvest mix, choc cherries    858 calories
dinner       WHOLE FOODS 10 DIFFERENT ITEMS (see above)    1002 calories
SNACK    THREE (3) MILK CHOCOLATE CHERRIES                    120 calories


TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED 2620 CALORIES

calories burned

CHICAGO YMCA 125 MINUTES PRECOR EFX ELLIPTICAL MACHINE
                   9.94 MILES ('ONLY')                  1568 CALORIES



WEDNESDAY NET CALORIES  1052 CALORIES


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


A couple of things have been happening lately... First I have been having extremely productive, high calorie burning workouts for the past couple of weeks.  Secondly, I have been shying away from having these ridiculous (and wildly tasty and satisfying) 'salads' with everything (except the kitchen sink) thrown in (sans dressing) with the assumption (likely a poor one) that it was only 750 calories.   I believe that I have in recent weeks been greatly under-reporting my calorie consumption... which even under-reported has been reported at near 3000 per day.  In recent days, I have reported nearly 3000 calories - but I think that it is way, way more accurate.  I am anticipating a good weigh-in on Saturday morning.

Question:  It is clear from the above paragraph that I have forgotten how to write a coherent English sentence.  Hopefully you still managed to get the gist of what I was trying to say?

2 comments:

OldTownGal said...

I always get the 'gist' of your posts.... I love your style of writing.

Marc Jacobs said...

Dear Old Town Gal, I know you have been a steady reader of this blog practically from the very beginning. I think only my own Mom and a good friend here in Chicago have enjoyed it as much as you. I also enjoy reading it as well - as it documents so well when and how I have had successes and when and how I have stumbled . Thank you for letting me know that you still get a 'kick' out of it. Marc