Thursday, July 23, 2015

DER DUTCHMAN

I have had a summer fabric trade show scheduled in Holmes County, Ohio since January. Holmes County is Amish country.  My schedule precluded me from leaving for the Thursday/Friday show until yesterday.  Right before I left, a light bulb lit up in my head and I decided to invite my family to join me.  There was one small responsibility that prevented both my wife and daughter from traveling with me.  My daughter had two days left of a three week, one hour per day,  cat-sitting summer job.  My wife offered to take care of the cat for the last two days which allowed my daughter to accompany me.  Less than 90 minutes after I had the idea to invite my family - my daughter and I were on our way to Amish Country in Ohio.

We had an enjoyable 400 mile drive.  We stopped for lunch at Panera Bread in the Toledo area.  We arrived in Holmes  County around 6:00PM and my daughter assisted me in setting up my booth. She was instrumental in making my booth space look better than ever.

After setting up the booth we did one 'touristy' thing - We took a buggy ride with an Amish driver and his 19 year old horse, Rocky.  The fifteen minute ride was quite fun.




The reason  you do not see a picture of our driver is that the Amish do not like their photograph to be taken and naturally I respected that.  Our driver, Ivan was very nice guy and answered many questions we had about the Amish lifestyle.

After the buggy ride we were able to go to DER DUTCHMAN,  the best restaurant in town which inexplicably closes each night at 8:00PM.  (I do not think I have ever been to a restaurant anywhere else that serves dinner and closes at 8:00PM!)


Once seated, we both chose the buffet for our meal.   In the old days, I would have made sure to visit and revisit the buffet at least three times.   I did try to sample as many different types of the hot food as possible.  Back in the 'old days' (prior to December 24, 2014) I used to be the type of guy who would return from the buffet with a plate that could have doubled as a scale model of Mount Everest.   I think my new style is much healthier for me - and much more profitable for the restaurants!

DER DUTCHMAN: salad, sweet potato casserole, creamed corn, green beans, pan fried chicken,  BBQ meatballs, swiss steak, bread pudding, roast beef, stuffing

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 Wednesday MENU

breakfast  three poached eggs, oatmeal, center cut bacon, corn thins       636 calories 
lunch        Panera Bread 1/2 sandwich Roasted Turkey, Onion Soup,
                 apple, veggie chips, dark chocolate almond granola               1080 calories
dinner       DER DUTCHMAN BUFFET w/SALAD                               1000 calories
SNACK   SNACK: cherry vanilla granola, mango, glad corn                   686 calories


total calories consumed 3403 calories

calories burned
HOME STAR TRAC ELLIPTICAL 92 minutes, level 20                     2289 calories

CALORIES BURNED 2289 CALORIES
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Tuesday net calories 1114 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Did this poster really say what I think I saw it say:
SHOP LATE, OPEN 'TIL 8


No comments: