Thursday, July 16, 2015

A GOOD MAN ALWAYS KNOWS HIS LIMITATIONS

I should skip a day.  I should not workout every day.  There should be a day of rest.  It's right there in The Ten Commandments (You can look it up!)  I have allowed myself to become addicted to the daily workout.  I embrace this addiction.  For eight years I was addicted to not working out.  I  do know that life does not have to be black or white.  Sometimes there is a great area.  I am not good at grey areas.  As Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry) said: 'A good man always knows his limitations.'   



Today a Perfect Storm seemed to be conspiring to keep my away from the elliptical machine today.

My perfect storm did not involve thunder, lightning, rain, high winds and tremendous waves.

First I awoke 3 hours late.  Lately I have been waking up at 5AM or 5:30AM without an alarm clock.  Today I awoke at 8:30AM.  It was too late to work out before my first appointment.

Late in the afternoon, I headed to the YMCA in Royal Oak, Michigan in order to get my workout.  I arrived.  I marveled at the plethora a parking spots so close to the entrance.   As a man who is trying to maximize exercise, I should not be looking for the closest parking spots anyway.   I soon discovered why the spots were available.   There were notes attached to the front door which explained that the facility was closed due to a power outage.  I learned later that a construction crew had cut the power to the facility.

I was not going to be stopped by a mere power outage.  I drove five more miles to the next YMCA in Birmingham, Michigan.   I found a parking spot and reached behind me to get my gym bag.   Unfortunately I had forgotten to bring it along with me for the day.  It was still sitting on the bed in my hotel room about 15 miles to the east. 

It would have been very easy just to skip my workout yesterday.  Addicts are not stopped quite so easily.  I drove back to the hotel, I retrieved my bag and drove back to the Birmingham YMCA.   

I worked out for 65 minutes on the elliptical.   And I feel great!

Note to self: TRY TO REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR GYM BAG IF YOU PLAN ON WORKING OUT DURING THE DAY!


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 Wednesday MENU
breakfast   Quaker Oats Oatmeal, apple                                                  600 calories
lunch         Parmesan Crusted Whitefish, chicken tortilla soup                318 calories
dinner        Whole Foods Salad Bar, roasted beets, curry cauliflower,
                  grilled red onions, grilled yellow squash, bulk foods           1157 calories
SNACK     bulk foods: mango slices, granola, goji                                  924 calories


total calories consumed   2998 CALORIES

calories burned
PRECOR EFX INTERVAL WORKOUT 20/20 65 MINUTES  920 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED 920 CALORIES
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Wednesday net calories 2078 calories

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


No comments: