Tuesday, October 13, 2015

CHICAGO MARATHON

On Sunday I walked 26.2 miles to start off my day. More than 75% of my route mirrored the Chicago marathon course. My time to complete this distance of 26.2 miles was:

5 hours, 39 minutes, 16 seconds 

After I completed this first phase of exercise for the day, I then walked an additional 10+ miles before midnight. Monday, by necessity, was a day of rest.  Lots of rest. I did take my bicycle out for a quick one hour ride with my daughter.  However, I must admit that my joints were a bit stiff during much of the day - and it appears that even today, Tuesday might be a day of rest as well.


My walk yesterday mirrored more than 20 miles of the official course.  It made me want to find out a bit of history regarding this race.   Wikipedia.com provided this information below:
The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is a major marathon held yearly in Chicago. Alongside the BostonNew YorkLondonBerlin, and Tokyo Marathons, it is one of the six World Marathon Majors. The October 11, 2015 running [was] the 38th anniversary of the race. The first race was held on September 25, 1977 under the original name the Mayor Daley Marathon, which drew a field of 4,200 runners. The race has been held every year since, except in 1987 when only a half-marathon was run. It is among the fastest growing marathon road races in the world, due in part to its largely fast and flat course which facilitates the pursuit of personal records and world record performances. The race has achieved its elite status among marathons by developing relationship with sponsors who provide prize money to lure elite runners who have produced American and world record performances. The race is limited to 45,000 runners and only runners who finish within 6½ hours are officially timed.
I was very surprised to learn the that the fees collected in order to be officially registered for this event was $185 for United States residents and $210 for those residing outside of the U.S.  I did see scores of marathon runners proudly wearing their medals after the race. The medals did appear to be beautifully crafted. Those that wish to officially participate in the event must enter a lottery.  I have no idea what percent of marathoners are rejected due to overwhelming demand.  It was great fun to walk much of the race route on the sidewalk on Sunday.  It was also fun to see how Chicagoans greeted the thousands of marathoners cruising through their neighborhoods.  In past years, I was one of the people who found a spot on the sidewalk and simply watched and cheered others. It was fun to be a part of this event - even if my participation was way out on the fringe.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 Monday MENU
breakfast  steel cut oatmeal, center cut bacon, two eggs             790 calories
lunch        apples, granola bars, Chili Turkey w/beans                980 calories
dinner       salmon burgers, clam chowder, spinach, baby corn   630 calories
SNACK   MULTIGRAIN RICE CAKES                                   360 calories

TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED 2760 CALORIES

MONDAY'S WORKOUT - NOT APPLICABLE
Perhaps it looks silly that I write calories burned for the day was Zero.  What I mean is that I did not burn many more additional calories over and above the calories burned based on my Basal Metabolic Rate.

Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories one burns if one stayed in bed all day.


CALORIES BURNED 0 CALORIES 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Monday net calories 2760 calories

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
fitbit day 40

10349 steps

a few minutes spent marching in place insured that I did not log a day south of 10000 steps. 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


My daughter joined me for the short bike ride to Northerly Island on Monday.  It was extra special to have a riding companion. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
...one more final word about my marathon day on Sunday...


I received an automated email  from my FitBit application near midnight on Sunday evening when I stepped my 75000th step of the day.  It is very hard to imagine earning this 'badge' again. I must concede that I have done quite a few things this past year that I could never have imagined one year ago: for example, losing 85 lbs, climbing Half Dome, and waking up and walking a marathon distance of 26.2 miles.


Awesome!
You've walked 75,000 steps
With a number like that, you can skip the magic carpet! For your supernatural steppage, you just earned the Genie Shoe badge. Good work!

No comments: