Friday, September 14, 2018

POKAGON STATE PARK (DAY 46)

It has been a very, very long time since I have actually hiked on an actual trail through a state park (or any park for that matter.) That drought ended when I drove into my Angola, Indiana hotel on Thursday afternoon with a few hours to go before sundown.

Thursday was the 46th consecutive day that I kept my calories in the neighborhood of 1000 for the day. It takes effort. After my nine mile hike, I headed to Subway for a sandwich and I considered 'rewarding' myself with a full 'footlong' sandwich, and then made the decision to stick with a six inch sub...  When I checked into my hotel, as a high Windham Points guy, this particular hotel hands some guests a little 'goodie bag' with water, trail mix and a chocolate bar.  I kept the water, and returned the other two items. My hotel the day before, welcomes their guests with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies - I ignored them. I could have easily eaten one, or two or ten. My best decision was to forego them altogether.  This is how one loses weight if one is serious. I got real fat again, as I was 283 on July 31st. I am really serious about getting that weight down - a lot. I am well on my way... So far, I have dropped a bit more than 30 pounds. I 'officially' weigh myself on Saturday morning to check my most recent progress... I am looking forward to that....







I am a city boy... finding an actual frog 'in the wild' is still something special for me. 

.

I am very aware, that I look CRAZY in this photo... 


.
This is called a SHADOW SELFIE
.

.
Pokagon State Park
Potawatomi Inn Pokagon State Park.jpg
Potawatomi Inn at Pokagon State Park
Map showing the location of Pokagon State Park
Map showing the location of Pokagon State Park
Location of park in Indiana
LocationSteuben CountyIndianaUSA
Nearest cityAngola, Indiana
Coordinates41°42′50″N 85°01′31″W
Area1,260 acres (5.1 km2)
Established1925
Governing bodyIndiana Department of Natural Resources
Pokagon State Park
Nearest cityAngola, Indiana
Area1,040 acres (420 ha)
Built1927
Built byCivilian Conservation Corps
Architectural stylePark Rustic
MPSNew Deal Resources in Indiana State Parks MPS
NRHP reference #95001540
Added to NRHPJanuary 11, 1996
Pokagon State Park is an Indiana state park in the northeastern part of the state, near the village of Fremont and 5 miles (8 km) north of Angola. It was named for the 19th-century Potawatomi chief, Leopold Pokagon, and his widely known son, Simon Pokagon, at Richard Lieber's suggestion. The 1,260-acre (5.1 km2) park has an inn, camping facilities, and a staff of full-time naturalists.

No comments: