Sunday, September 9, 2018

REVISITING THE HOMER SIMPSON CALORIE CONUNDRUM

Saturday was the 41st consecutive day that I have kept my calorie consumption within the neighborhood of 1000. This 'program' has been successful. I have lost more than 30 pounds in those 41 days.... Today I look back at my own blog post from February 7, 2015 when I had first started to lose weight from a starting point of 309 lbs.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015
HOMER SIMPSON CALORIE CONUNDRUM 
There are some people who might feel that I am eating too little.   I am in Day 15 of my new program.   My program does not have a sexy name like Paleo, Slim Fast, Biggest Loser, Atkins, South-Beach, Mediterranean, Weight-Watchers, Jenny Craig or scores of other plans.  Each one has its own book (or books) and each has its legions of followers.  My diet plan is EAT LESS.  For fourteen consecutive days I have consumed less than 1000 calories per day.   Some days I have been under 800 calories.   The small amount of literature that I have seen indicates that this might be too low.  Would it have been really helpful if I had a hot dog roll with my hot dog (+100 Calories)? Would it have been helpful if I had had ranch dressing on any of my salads (+300 Calories)? Would it have been helpful if I had had my baguette with my Turkey Chili (+100 Calories)? Would it have been helpful if I had had only one piece of cake as some kind of misguided reward (+400 Calories)? 
I am convinced that my body is sending signals to me thanking me for finally giving it the fuel to operate properly.   In the past, I might have consumed 3000, 4000 or even 5000 calories per day. What nutritional benefit did the Ho Ho's, Oreos, Dunkin' Doughnuts, Klondike Bars, or M&M's provide?  Homer Simpson eats a lot of calories, but how much of what he eats is actual food?

I never ate as badly as Homer.  In my defense, it is hard to compete with a cartoon character.
* * * * * * * * * 

Saturday in Chicago....
The day started with a great weight 252.1 lbs (down 6.3 lbs for the seven day week!)
The day included a two hour study session with my daughter in her first days of Pre-Calculus
The day also included an 11 mile urban hike...
and for the 41st consecutive day, my calorie consumption was in the neighborhood of 1000.















No comments: