Sunday, September 20, 2015

LET THERE BE LIGHT

Yesterday I made a trip to REI in order to purchase front and rear bike lights.  I have riding my bike a few times after dark and it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to make sure that I am visible at night. As a new member of REI with an REI credit card I had earned a $100 gift coupon which I used to purchase my headlight and tail light.  I spoke with a knowledgeable employee who helped guide my purchases.   I settled on a CYGOLITE 400 LUMENS USB RECHARGEABLE HEADLIGHT ($59.95) and a PLANET BIKE 1 WATT LED TAIL LIGHT ($30)   The total cost of these two lights was $89.95 (plus 9.25% Chicago sales tax)    Back when I was a kid, all the way back when I graduated grade school in 1969 I longed for a Schwinn Varsity 10-Speed bicycle.  I used the internet to 'discover' the price of this bike that I dreamed of as a kid and it was less than I paid yesterday for two lights!  ($81.95) My parents were kind enough to buy a bicycle for me, but they did not spring for the top of the line, best-selling Schwinn - I vaguely recall that my bike came from Kmart or some similar discount store.  The bike that I did own probably cost something in the neighborhood of $59 back then.


CYGOLITE METRO USB RECHARGEABLE 400 LUMENS BICYCLE HEADLIGHT
PLANET BIKE SUPERFLASH TURBO TAIL LIGHT

All this proves one thing.  I am old. From 1969 when I graduated grade school at the age of 12 to the current day when I am less than 3 months away from my 58th birthday - I have lived through 46 years of inflation.  I was looking at the prices of all the new fangled bicycles offered at a local bike shop and I was amazed.  Bikes these days can easily be $1000, $2000 or more dollars.   The current bicycle that I am using was purchased at a garage sale three years ago and I recall paying approximately $100 for it.  My bike, a DIAMONDBACK was probably 'only' $400 dollars when new.  Although the chrome is rusted in quite a few places - I have been enjoying using it since I 'rescued' it from its three year hibernation in the bike locker of my building last last month.


1970 Schwinn Varsity 

1970 VARSITY

ModelDescriptioncolorFrame
size
Wheel
size
Price
119
121
123
Varsity 10-Speed (Men's)
Sky Blue
Campus Green
Sierra brown
White
19"
21"
23"
27" x 1-1/4"
$81.95


10 speed, stem shifters. 38 to 100 gear range. Chain wheel guard. Oval head badge. Side pull brakes with suicide levers. 27 x1¼ tires. COLORS were Sky Blue, Campus Green, Sierra brown, and White. Frame sizes were 19", 21", 23" $81.95. Chrome fenders available for $6.00 (different model numbers). Optional thorn-resistant tubes, $4.50.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
Saturday MENU
breakfast  oatmeal, bacon, apple, popped corn, rice cakes, ginger         1270 calories
lunch        fuji apples, yogurt raisins, English Toffee bar, Plentis chips 1120 calories
dinner       Borscht Soup, Brisket                                                              334 calories
SNACK    POPPED CARAMEL CORN                                                  770 calories

total calories consumed 3494 calories

calories burned
elliptical machine 125 minutes, 4:3 interval,  level 20              1712 calories


CALORIES BURNED 1704 CALORIES
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Saturday net calories 1790 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
fitbit day 17
30044 steps
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
THE TITLE OF MY BLOG ENTRY TODAY IS 'LET THERE BE LIGHT'
THIS COMES FROM THE BIBLE.... GENESIS
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.  God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
First there was evening and then there was morning - the first day.   AND NOW DEAR FRIENDS, YOU KNOW WHY JEWISH HOLIDAYS BEGIN AT SUNDOWN....first there was evening and then there was morning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JENNIFER.
WE WERE MARRIED SEPT 20, 1997.

No comments: