Friday, October 19, 2018

CENTRAL CANAL TOWPATH (DAY 81)

I 'landed' in my Thursday night hotel in northern Indianapolis with enough sunlight left in the day to contemplate taking a 'major' hike. So I did. I set out walking SE along Michigan Avenue and intended to continue on that road for about six miles. Just shy of the six mile mark I 'discovered the CENTRAL CANAL TOWPATH Trail which led to Broad Ripple which is precisely where I wanted to get to as I was aware that I could pick up the MONON trail and hike that another 3 miles north back to 86th Street. Once I exited the MONON trail at 86th street, I was about 5 miles east of my starting point. I know...who cares? Here is the bottom line: I hiked 17 miles on Thursday afternoon.  I consumed a lot of calories on Thursday - but I think I burned a few as well.



.







By the time my hike met up with the MONON trail, I had already hiked 9.5 miles. What a beautiful day in Indianapolis, and what a great day for a hike. 




Central Canal Towpath

​​In the 1830’s, the Central Canal was envisioned as part of an eight-canal system to cross the state and link major points of commerce.  After three years of construction and the introduction of railroads, debts halted the project, leaving the Central Canal with no connections to other navigable waterways.  In 1881, the Indianapolis Water Company purchased the canal.  The Central Canal is a primary source of drinking water for the Indianapolis metropolitan area and receives its water from the White River in the Broad Ripple area. 

No comments: