Monday, June 29, 2015

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED...

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED...TRY, TRY AGAIN  (I am fairly certain that some version of this nugget of wisdom is known to everyone)

On Friday I surprised myself when I lasted for a full two hours, 125 minutes on the Precor EFX576i doing a 4:3 Interval Training Session and 'burned' 1578 calories.  I was impressed.  I also wanted to find if this was a fluke or if I could actually do it again.  So I did.  On Saturday.

TWO HOURS, FIVE MINUTE PRECOR EFX 576i (YMCA) 4:3 INTERVAL WORKOUT
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
26 JUNE FRIDAY       125 MINUTES       DISTANCE 9.93 MILES      1578 CALORIES BURNED
27 JUNE SATURDAY 125 MINUTES      DISTANCE 9.87 MILES       1556 CALORIES BURNED
28 JUNE SUNDAY     125 MINUTES       DISTANCE 10.08 MILES     1609 CALORIES BURNED

On Saturday I tried to 'break' past 10 miles, and I failed, in fact, I traveled slightly less than the day before and burned less calories.   Was this the law of diminishing returns at work?  Should I have given myself a day of rest?  Of course, I should have.  However, that is not my way.



On Sunday I was more determined to surpass a distance of 10 miles and I was successful, with a few yards (meters) to spare.   And I 'burned' more calories than on the first two attempts.

I have a mountain waiting for me on October 1st.  HALF DOME in YOSEMITE PARK.  I am training.  This expedition to the summit of HALF DOME is just a little more than 90 days away.  No pun intended, I don't want my training to 'peak' too soon.  Just like I could barely imagine the speed and intensity of my initial weight loss, I wonder how much more energy and stamina I am going to have in one month? or two months?  or by the morning of October 1st, when my brother will lead an 'expedition' of 6 middle-aged men up 4800 feet to the summit at HALF DOME.  I am going to be as ready as I possibly can.   When my brother initially suggested that I join his expedition around two months ago, I was both flattered and excited that he thought I could be successful on this journey.   I was also scared out of my mind!   I am no longer scared.  This does not mean that I think that this hike will be easy - I simply believe that I will prevail.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 SUNDAY MENU
breakfast  granola, semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut shredded, corn snack,
                 tamari roasted almonds                                                       900 calories
lunch        dark chocolate almonds, wasabi green peas, peckham pear,
                 chewy ginger, cherry vanilla granola, sun-dried fig           930 calories
dinner       JIMMY JOHN'S #14 UNWICH, whole pickle                  250 calories
SNACK    EARTH BALANCE WHITE CHEDDAR puffs, apples   745 calories                                                                                            
total calories consumed 2825 calories

calories burned
PRECOR EFX CROSS-TRAINER 4:3 INTERVAL SESSION
125 MINUTES, 10.08 MILES          1609 CALORIES
JACOB'S LADDER 5 minutes, 450 feet,  89 calories

total calories burned Saturday 1698 burned


Sunday net calories  calories 1127 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


from wikipedia...
William Edward Hickson (January 7, 1803 - March 22, 1870), commonly known at W.E. Hickson was a British education writer.  He is credited with popularizing the proverb:
'Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try, try again.














No comments: