Monday, June 8, 2015

NEW WAY TO LOSE BUSINESS

This happened a couple of days ago, and until now I have forgotten to write about it.  Last week I was a vendor a local wholesale fabric show in Shipshewana, Indiana.   As this is not a specific part of my territory that I have penetrated too deeply - I knew very few buyers in attendance.

There was one women, who I have called on since 1993 every few years or so and seen at various national quilt shows around the country.  When she walked by my table, I said to her, 'Hi, Jean.' This customer looked at me with a slight nod of acknowledgement and continued on her way.  Later in the day, as she passed my table again and I repeated my greeting.  Again there was just a nod which more or less acknowledged my existence but not much more.

I was wondering why this woman was being so unfriendly.  So cold.  Had I done something to offend her in the past?  Honestly, I didn't think so.  I try pretty hard not to offend anyone. 

Finally, in the afternoon, this woman walked by my table for a third time and spotted my buttons laid out on the table.  THE DILL BUTTONS...SHE RECOGNIZED.  She told her associate that she was traveling with that they needed to stop at this table as she wanted to place a button order.  Finally, I said, "Jean, it's me, Marc Jacobs."   Finally, a glint of recognition came across her face.

Apparently my new look completely through her off.  From her perspective I was 95 lbs lighter, and I was wearing new black plastic eyeglasses.  (I have had these glasses for more than a year - but I guess it's been a year since I have seen this particular customer.)  Once she realized it was me, her smile returned and she was happy to see me, happy to be buying from me and happy for me that I was sporting a healthier look.

It just makes me wonder.... How many customers at recent trade shows might have come looking for me and not found me...?  How many customers might have looked right at me, but didn't see me?

Yep, I have apparently found a new way to lose business.


Lately people are looking directly at me and not seeing me...as if I was some kind of ghostly apparition like the one that is here in this photograph by photographer and artist, Andrew Lyman

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

 Sunday MENU
breakfast     STARBUCKS low-fat turkey bacon, three apples, oat/honey 570 calories 
lunch           spinach salad w/hearts of palm, oat/honey granola                  458 calories
dinner          spinach salad, oat/honey granola, asparagus spears                475 calories
snack           56 almonds                                                                               340 calories
                        
total calories   1843 calories

calories burned
STAIR CLIMBING (ground floor to 25th floor)  65 calories  (3 min, 30.47 sec)
7AM ELLIPTICAL 32 minutes (level 16, manual setting)  547 calories
STAIR DESCENDING (25th floor to ground floor) 15 calories (2 min, 9.74 sec)


TOTAL CALORIES BURNED  627 CALORIES

SATURDAY net calories  calories 1216 calories


No comments: