Sunday, August 30, 2015

EXPLOSIVE START FOR CRITICAL MASS

One more final thing to say about CRITICAL MASS on Friday night.  Since I am the only one in the family who owns a bike, my wife and daughter rented bicycles near Navy Pier on Friday.  I met them at the bike shop.  It had only been one week since my bicycle was 'rescued' from 'mothballs.'   I had inflated the tires to a level that seemed appropriate - but I did not know how much to inflate them.   I was sure that they were still under-inflated.  I used the opportunity at the bike repair/rental shop to ask about my tires. An extremely helpful guy said the tires should be inflated to 75 psi and that I could use their hand pump.   I gratefully accepted this advice and inflated my tires to the proper pressure.


As the transaction for my wife and daughter continued about 5 minutes after inflating my tires - There was a loud explosion in the bike shop. My tire exploded. My first inclination was to blame the guy who told me to inflate the tires to 75 psi.  The explanation came that perhaps their was some bubble between the rim and tube that caused the explosion.  I also remembered that the tires had been uninflected for three years.  The guy in the shop offered to fix the tire without charging for labor and simply charged me $6.95 for a new tube.  Within 10 minutes, I was back up and running (riding.)   This explosion of my tube would have been far more problematical had it occurred along the 15+ mile bike route that we took.  I was very grateful to have this particular setback right in the bike shop.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  
 Saturday MENU

breakfast  apples                                                                          144 calories
lunch        salad bar, wasabi, mango                                           1399 calories
dinner      apples, rice cake, granola, mango, wasabi, almonds 1483 calories

total calories consumed 3026 calories

calories burned
elliptical machine 92 minutes, manual, level 20              2064 calories


CALORIES BURNED 2064 CALORIES
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Saturday net calories 962 calories
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


No comments: