Thursday, February 5, 2015

L'CHAIM! TO LIFE!

Could anything be more true?
Some of my best friends are Jewish.   This is really not so amazing as I am Jewish.  When Jews gather together to celebrate Shabbat (the Sabbath) and other happy life events - we toast, "To Life." (L'chaim)   Many people familiar with the musical, Fiddler on the Roof,  remember the song, "To Life"  (L'chaim)  In fact, L'chaim is really plural, and the toast is better understood as 'To Lives.'   None of us lives alone, we all count on each other to experience meaningful lives.  So, why am I telling you all this?  In two weeks, I will be attending the birthday party of my dear friend, and Rabbi at my neighborhood Chabad House.   I know that there will be many 'L'chaims' during this celebration. When we toast L'chaim it is usually with 1oz of vodka or whiskey or scotch.  I need to plan in advance how I can participate in the 'L'chaims' without busting my calorie budget. It is not complicated. I will just fill my 'L'chaim' cup only 1/3 full, so that I can enjoy the camaraderie of sharing 'L'chaims' with my friends.

I am lucky that I am not a regular drinker.  Alcohol consumption can greatly interfere with weight loss.   I was curious how many calories are in some of the drinks that I have enjoyed in the past.

GREY GOOSE VODKA 1oz               69 CALORIES
MAKER'S MARK BOURBON 1 oz.  69 CALORIES

It appears that if I only 'fill' my cup 1/3 full, I will be able to fully enjoy myself.  And that, is my plan.
L'Chaim!


Tevye and Lazer Wolf toast 'L'Chaim' as they have sealed the deal on the marriage of Tevye's daughter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have enjoyed virtually every meal I have eaten since December 24th, when I started my lifestyle changes.   Today, at Costco, something caught my eye that I would never have seen or considered in my previous life.   Something called: Vegetable Yakisoba (Japanese Noodles)  
This product was described as "Japanese-style stir fried noodles with crisp vegetables and a savory sauce."   It sounded good to me.   A 4.5 oz serving has 250 calories.   On Wednesday evening, I tried the Yakisoba and it was in fact, delicious!  Experimentation is fun.  


WEDNESDAY MENU

breakfast  3 poached eggs, 2 strips turkey 'bacon'                                280 CALORIES
lunch        3 oz beef, sweet potato bisque soup, spinach w/balsamic   327 CALORIES
dinner      4.5 oz YAKISOBA JAPANESE NOODLES
                sweet potato bisque soup                                                       350 CALORIES

TOTAL CALORIES      957 CALORIES

calories burned
6AM  30 minutes elliptical  380 CALORIES
6PM   30 minutes elliptical  390 CALORIES

total calories burned 770 CALORIES

NET CALORIES 187 CALORIES

YAKISOBA JAPANESE NOODLES w/Sweet Potato Bisque Soup  350 CALORIES

And finally.... a last word

A favorite quote from my Rabbi, goes something like this:  "Jews don't drink, we L'chaim!"   I think he means that there is a spiritual benefit when we L'chaim.   I have to admit, it does sometimes kinda feel like drinking!

More dubious 'wisdom' from Homer Simpson






No comments: