Monday, February 2, 2015

SUPER BOWL ANALYSIS

Yesterday the Super Bowl took place in Arizona.  More than 110 Million people in the United States, and millions more around the world, watched the New England Patriots defeat the Seattle Seahawks.   Many people watch the game just to see the expensive commercials run by corporate America.  (I am one of those people.)

Is it just me, or does this football look a little bit deflated?

My super bowl is different.   My super bowl is a SOUPER BOWL.   Today, I want to tout how delicious so many of my meals have been when combined with soup.  I started getting into the soup habit when I started eating healthier on the road a few weeks ago. At Jason's Deli and Panera Bread, there are some delicious soup options, for example, Tortilla Soup, that still leave room for a half-sandwich. I have added soup to practically every lunch and dinner prepared at home.

Shopping at Costco, Mariano's and Trader Joe's has been a very rewarding for discovering healthy, low-calorie soup options.   Some of my favorites (1 cup serving) have been:
(1 CUP=8 fl oz.=240 ml)

TRADER JOE'S BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP               90 CALORIES
TRADER JOE'S ORGANIC CRAMY TOMATO SOUP     90 CALORIES
TRADER JOE'S SWEET POTATO BISQUE                    130 CALORIES
TRADER JOE'S PUMPKIN SOUP (seasonal)                  100 CALORIES
HEALTHY CHOICE CHICKEN with RICE                       110 CALORIES
HEALTHY CHOICE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP              90 CALORIES

This is my SOUPER BOWL.   Each one is a winner!


SUPER BOWL ANALYSIS

As I have previously reported, one of my favorite stories that I learned within the past two years from my Rabbi at my Chabad House in Chicago involves a story about the great sage, Rabbi Hillel.   This 2000+ year old story goes something like this: A man interested in converting to Judaism said that he would accept the teachings of Judaism if a Rabbi could teach him the entire Torah (Five Books of Moses) while the prospect stood on one foot.   He first asked this of a Rabbi who was insulted by the 'ridiculous' request.   The prospect was undeterred.  The prospect approached Rabbi Hillel.  Rabbi Hillel rose to the challenge, and he said:

'What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary - go and study it!'
It is from this famous quote that I have fashioned the name of my 'weight loss plan'.  You could ask me what is the name of my weight loss plan.   You could task me with divulging this information while you stood on one foot.

'What is unhealthy for you, do not eat. That is the whole plan; the rest is commentary - go and have lunch!'

AND HERE IS THE EXPLANATION
WHY THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 
DEFEATED THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS IN
THE SUPER BOWL.  

'What was harmful to their team, they did inflict on their opponent.  That explains their success; the rest is commentary - go place your bet for next year.'

SUNDAY MENU 

Breakfast   three eggs, scrambled    two strips turkey 'bacon'                         280 CALORIES
Lunch         3 oz beef, baby spinach with vinaigrette,  creamy corn soup       307 CALORIES
Dinner        4 oz salmon filet, baby spinach w/vinaigrette, pumpkin soup      349 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
6AM   30 minutes ELLIPTICAL   340 CALORIES
4PM   30 minutes  ELLIPTICAL  360  CALORIES


NET CALORIC CONSUMPTION  236 CALORIES