Wednesday, February 25, 2015

MUSTARD vs. KETCHUP

Sometimes I actually feel silly admitting the things that I admit on this blog.  After achieving the milestone of 57 years last November, I have now discovered that I like mustard. All my life, I have NEVER purposely put mustard on anything, ever.  I put ketchup on hamburgers. I put ketchup on hot dogs. I have put ketchup (and mayonnaise) on roast beef sandwiches. When I was much younger, I put ketchup on corn.

Now that I am really trying to cut back on calories every which way I can, I have been looking for alternatives for ketchup and mayonnaise.  As a result, I have discovered mustard. I had a Jimmy John's UNWICH (lettuce wrap sandwich) on Sunday evening and I ASKED FOR MUSTARD.  It was delicious.   I officially like mustard.  

Starting this week, I consider myself a person who likes mustard.


I think that my tastes have been changing over the past few weeks.  No longer is the taste of sugar, and chocolate permanently coating my tastebuds.

Although most mustard is NOT zero calories, most of the mustards that I checked out at the supermarket were 5 calories for one TSP.



Ketchup, has around 20 calories for 1 TBSP.   Who knows how much ketchup I drowned my french fries in or slathered on a burger.  Ketchup also has one thing that one won't find in mustard - SUGARS.   Mustard is clearly the healthier choice.   And there are hundreds of different mustards in the marketplace to try.   I just purchased a bottle of HORSERADISH MUSTARD and a bottle of WASABI MUSTARD.  I am looking forward to trying these. 


TUESDAY MENU
breakfast   STARBUCKS Blueberry Whole-Grain Oatmeal               220 CALORIES
lunch          Jimmy John's Bootlegger Club Unwich w/Provolone       280 CALORIES
dinner        Applebee's Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad w/o dressing     370 CALORIES

total calories consumed   870 CALORIES

calories burned
6AM    Days Inn Stairmaster 40 minutes                                              400 CALORIES
930PM  YMCA Royal Oak, Michigan ELLIPTICA  60 MINUTES   660 CALORIES

total calories burned   1160 CALORIES

CALORIC DEFICIT   -190 CALORIES


Last evening at the YMCA (Royal Oak, Michigan) I spent an hour on the elliptical machine. The settings were completely different from my elliptical at home.  I never did figure out how to increase the 'resistance.'   Still, I spent one full hour on the machine, burned 660 calories and the machine calculated that I took 8398 'strides'.   I have nothing to compare that to - it just does seem like a rather large number.   I will be back today, Wednesday, so it might be interesting how different my next session will be.   



No comments: