Monday, February 23, 2015

YMCA

Right after my appointment with my doctor on Friday, my wife and I drove to our local 'Y' to re-activate our family membership.   We had an active membership for a number of years which we cancelled a couple of years ago.  Many years ago, our daughter went to 'Y' day camp for one summer, and prior to that she was enrolled in some pre-school programs.  Nearly a decade ago, when I lost also lost weight I made use of the 'Y' membership to visit out-of-town locations. Recently, I have been booking hotel rooms with 'fitness rooms' which are not always in good shape. (I am remembering that there have been more than one occasion when my head was nearly bumping up on the ceiling while on an elliptical machine - and I promise that I am not exaggerating.)   I will have much more flexibililty in the hotels that I can book if I have a nearby 'Y' as an option.

The 'Y' that we joined that is closest to our home is at 3333 N Marshfield Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Apparently it has been there for quite some time. With some quick searching on the internet, I found this picture of a postcard that was postmarked 1931. The outside of the building looks pretty much the same today as it did 75 years ago. The inside of the building was recently renovated, as I am sure it has been at least a couple of times over its 75 year lifetime.

The back of this postcard has this information:  'This is the newest department of the Y.M.C.A. of Chicago.  The building was dedicated October 7, 1928.  It contains residence accommodations for 253 men, 2 gymnasiums, swimming pool, 4 hand-ball courts, special exercise rooms and a cafeteria...'

The very first thing that I am going to use the 'Y' for is a FITNESS CONSULTATION.  I expect that this will happen next weekend as I have already called to request an appointment.   This will be a good opportunity for me to learn about other exercises I should be considering aside from the elliptical.  I don't know anything about weight training, so that will be a good place for me to increase my knowledge.   I am looking forward to this experience.  I have never spoken with a trained professional regarding my exercise routine.

SUNDAY MENU
breakfast  1 cup STEEL CUT OAT MEAL w/SUNSWEET PRUNE       175 CALORIES
lunch        3.5 oz Salmon Filet, asparagus spears, Chicken Noodle Soup 330 CALORIES
dinner      Jimmy John's Bootlegger Club Unwich, Pumpkin Soup         380 CALORIES

total calories 885 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
7AM   elliptical 32 minutes       440 calories
3PM   elliptical 60 minutes        800 calories

total calories burned  1240 CALORIES

NET CALORIES   355 CALORIE DEFICIT   





My week which begins on Saturday is off to a roaring start.   So far, with two days now history, my net caloric consumption (CALORIES CONSUMED MINUS CALORIES BURNED) is NEGATIVE 220.   It is now Monday morning, time to drive to the Detroit area in Michigan for a week.






No comments: