Friday, February 20, 2015

THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER MEAL IN SIX HOURS

On December 24, 2014, these words, "There's always another meal in six hours" changed my life.  I asked permission from my doctor today if I could use him name in my blog and he said that was perfectly fine.

I met Dr. John Tenhundfeld (Lincoln Park Family Physicians, 1317 West Diversey Parkway, Chicago) on two separate occasions prior to my December 24, 2014 'wellness' exam.   I immediately liked everything about him. This man is friendly, approachable and knowledgeable. He has a great personality and I find that I can speak with him with complete honesty. He is simply the best of the best.  Eight weeks ago, when I was a 309 lb blob sitting in the examination room we were discussing weight loss. He casually said that the thing with eating is..."there's always another meal in six hours."  He added that we just need to eat enough to survive until the next meal.  These ideas changed my life.  

It is these ideas that have propelled me into a fat-burning, muscle-building machine over these past few weeks.  I made sure to tell Dr. Tenhunfeld that it was these words there were so instrumental to my new way of thinking.  Expressing gratitude to someone who has been so helpful is a great thing to do.

My doctor was somewhat stunned today.  He was impressed with my success and my attitude. Honestly, the whole experience was very emotional for me. 

We discussed all the issues that I wanted to clarify.

He did say that a 1000 calorie per day cap on my eating was very aggressive. He added that as long as I am eating a balanced diet I could continue to do this. He added that I could easily bump that up to 1200 or 1300 when I am ready to do so.

My blood pressure which was elevated two months ago is now completely healthy.  
Blood pressure is 123/75.   (two months ago 158/82)

Resting pulse today was 67   (two months ago 75)

One recommendation made was to increase the fiber that I am eating.  His suggestions included adding to my diet: prunes, raisins, whole grains, and steel cut oatmeal with wheat germ.  I will follow this advice.

We discussed the Zero Calorie Sparkling Water that I drink.  While not as healthy as water,  Dr. Tenhundfeld said that as long as I drink some water during the day, I should be OK.  I do drink water exclusively with my lunches and dinners.  The 6 cup per day minimum that we all read about virtually everywhere is a false fact without scientific merit.   

Another blood test was taken, and the doctor expects that my glucose levels should have receded to a normal level.

Dr. Tenhunfeld said that I "made his day."  It really meant something to him, that I took to heart his advice 8 weeks ago.   He said that in his career he had never seen anyone lose so much weight so quickly.  Although, he said that the speed of my weight loss was way outside what could reasonably be expected, my attitude and the fact that I am not starving myself do not indicate any trouble.

I think he got a kick out of the fact that I started my weight loss program on December 24th.  Not too many people start their new diets or lifestyle changes on Christmas Eve.   Since I am Jewish, for me, December 24th was simply a Tuesday.  Even so, not too many people start their new diets or lifestyle changes so close before New Year's Day.  Apparently I am not like everyone else.   I never have been.  Likely I never will be.

And lastly, right as he left the exam room, he said something that I will never forget.  Before he entered the exam room, naturally he looked at my chart.  He wondered who had weighed me as the weight looked ridiculously wrong.  The scale that I was weighed on cost him around $2000.  On December 24, 2014 his scale indicated that I weighed 313 lbs (with clothes on).  That very same scale, today registered 252.8 lbs. From his perspective, it was simply not possible that a patient could weigh 60 lbs less in 8 weeks.  Even my home scale showed a little less weight loss.  I will continue to report my weight from my own scale just to be consistent.

No wonder the nurse taking my blood pressure could not understand when I said the purpose of my visit was "obesity"    I must admit, although my BMI still has me classified as obese - I do not look obese sitting here in the chair getting my blood pressure reading.

My wife, Jennifer did a good job of documenting my doctor visit today.  Here I am  being weighed.
252.8 lbs  (I weighed myself at home this morning and my scale indicated 255 lbs and I and could barely believe it)  I will contine to use my home scale to calculate my progress just for consistency.   Tomorrow, Saturday is the 'official' day to record my weight loss progress.




And the last thing that I can think of that was memorable today was that the nurse who took my blood pressure, temperature and weight measurements asked my why I was seeing the doctor today.   I said "obesity."   She looked at me funny.   Although I was not trying to be funny - I admit, when I look at the photos that my wife took of me today - I do not see an obese person.

Never before has a visit to the doctor been so much fun!

I will repeat one more time.  Dr. Tenhundfeld, you changed my life.   Thank you.  




No comments: