Wednesday, February 18, 2015

FARBRENGEN

This week, Jews around the world will usher in the month of Adar.  Adar is the month when Jews are commanded to experience joy.  There will be great joy in my neighborhood as our beloved Rabbi and friend celebrates his birthday this evening.  Rabbi Meir Chai Benhiyoun who with this wife, Rivka, are the directors of the Chabad House just two doors down from my own home will host a farbrengen this evening.  When a Chabad Rabbi celebrates a birthday, he doesn't exactly have a birthday party - he has a farbrengen.  Here I (mostly) duplicated a definition from wikipedia.com.
Farbrengen (/fɑrbrɛnɡɛn/, from the Yiddish פארברענגען, meaning "joyous gathering"; German verbringen "to spend [time/solidarity/festivity together]") is a Chasidic gathering. This term is used by Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidim. It may consist of explanations of general Torah subjects, with an emphasis on Chasidic philosophy, relating of Chasidic stories, and lively Chasidic melodies, with refreshments being served. It is regarded as a time of great holiness. Farbrengens are public events open to non-Chasidim as well.
I am not a Chabadnik (Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidic Jew) - I have amazing friends who are Chabadniks.  I always enjoy spending time with my Chabadnik friends.  Chabadniks are the happiest people that I know.  Their  joy for life is extremely contagious.

An important part of a farbrengen is wishing L'chaim to one another.  I again consulted wikipedia.com for a definition.
All attending wish L'chaim, blessings of life, to one another. The reason for the L'chaim is to open the hearts of the participants to be inspired to want to change, and internalize what is being spoken at the farbrengen.... However, (alcohol) is only meant to be drunk sparingly, as the Rebbe, Menachem Mendel Schneerson forbade drinking more than four shot glasses of alcohol ("L'chaims") for anyone, especially those under the age of 40.
In my experiences with my Chabadnik friends, this (limitation  of four L'chaims) restriction is much more of a guideline than a strict rule! 

Tonight, I will see many friends that I have not seen for about two months.   And in those two months, I have lost nearly 50 lbs.   It should be great fun to see everyone again.   I will be 'armed' with my new 'Rabbi Hillel Diet' business cards should anyone want to learn about my eating/dieting philosophy.    And I will be careful to drink my 'L'chaims' sparingly.  

I may sacrifice the volume of liquor that I enjoy, but I will not sacrifice the joyousness of the occasion.



TUESDAY MENU
breakfast   three poached eggs, two strips turkey 'bacon'                                               280 calories
lunch         Salmon burger, Sirloin Burger Soup, Organic Salad, balsamic, asparagus    327 calories
dinner       turkey burger, sirloin soup, organic salad, balsamic, artichoke hearts            382 calories

total consumption  989 CALORIES

calories burned
6AM    elliptical machine  31 minutes    410 calories
6PM     elliptical machine  31 minutes    430 calories
8PM     elliptical machine  30 minutes    405 calories

total calories burned    1245 calories burned

NET CALORIC INTAKE     NEGATIVE -256



LUNCH: Salmon burger, Sirloin Burger Soup, Organic Salad w/balsamic dressing, asparagus    327 calories


No comments: