Tuesday, February 3, 2015

WORKOUTS ARE CHALLENGING AND FUN AGAIN

It snowed all day on Sunday.  When the snow in Chicago finally stopped on Sunday night, it was reported that we had accumulations of 19 inches.   It was said to be the fifth biggest storm in Chicago history.  My daughter was happy as her school was closed due to weather for the third time this winter.  The cartoon below indicates that the obesity epidemic is widespread. A couple of sunny days when the temperature rises above freezing will solve the snowman's problems.  Most of us will have to work a little bit harder get into shape.

A few warm days, and this snowman will no longer be obese.  Most of us are not so lucky.

For a few weeks I had been simply 'walking' on a treadmill. In order to amuse myself while I was 'walking' I was watching a myriad of TV shows in the fitness room.  I hardly watch any TV at all in the home - so this was not very compelling entertainment.   It was even worse when I got up to the fitness room and someone was already watching something even more boring that what I would have selected.

Just two days ago I started using the elliptical and this is now my exercise machine of choice.  On Sunday my exercise routine got a jolt when I made a terrific purchase at the Micro Center computer store. BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES. (no wires)  I am a guy who owns more than 10,000 songs.  I have about half of them loaded right on my iPhone. I have had some past experience with wired headphones while working out and I always managed to swing my hand into the wire and crash my iPod onto the floor. This can no longer happen. I have been having great fun creating playlists and listening to artists that I have not heard in ages. With 10,000 songs in my arsenal it will take me a very long time to re-discover all of my own music.

This is the single most important device for me to enjoy my workouts: BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES
The reason that I am enjoying my workouts so much now is that I am finding the elliptical machine very challenging.   I still have not gained enough stamina to spend more than 30 minutes on the machine.  When I can, I am working out for 30 minutes at the crack of dawn, and 30 minutes more before or right after dinner.   In just three days, I have noticed a slight improvement which shows up as calories 'burned.'   When that last 5 or 10 minutes arrives and I feel like I am floundering, a great rock song can perk me up to get to the finish line.  Eventually, I will hope to increase my time, my speed, the levels of resistance and ultimately the number of calories burned.   The elliptical machine is low (or no) impact.  I am really enjoying this new exercise.   The workouts are very challenging and the music makes it fun.

MONDAY MENU

breakfast 3 poached eggs, two slices turkey 'bacon'                                                 280 CALORIES
lunch       3 oz Salmon filet, iceberg lettuce, balsamic vinaigrette, pumpkin soup     302 CALORIES
dinner      8 oz seafood blend, baby spinach w/balsamic vinaigrette, Potato bisque  337 CALORIES

total calories 919 CALORIES

calories burned
6AM   elliptical 30 minutes       350 calories
6PM    elliptical 30 minutes       360 calories

total calories burned 710 calories

NET CALORIES 209 CALORIES

Seafood Blend on a bed of baby spinach with balsamic vinaigrette dressing, Potato Bisque Soup  337 CALORIES









No comments: