Wednesday, February 11, 2015

WHERE THIS MAN HAS NOT GONE BEFORE

Star Trek began Thursday evening September 8, 1966 with these words, 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' spoken by iconic actor William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk.  (I had not even had my ninth birthday yet.) Yesterday morning, I can not claim I had gone where no man had gone before, but I can claim that I went where this man had not gone before. (at least not recently)

Yesterday morning, I went where I had not gone before.
I stepped onto the Elliptical Machine at the LaQuinta Hotel and entered information for a 30 minute workout.  When the 30 minutes were completed, I just pedaled along for a couple more minutes to achieve some round numbers on my calories.   And then I realized that I had more energy in me and I simply continued for another 30 minutes and LOGGED ONE HOUR.   This machine is different from my home machine and I have assumed all week that the machine is inflating my calories burned.  Each day I have been under-reporting what the machine had indicated.  For example, the last two days, I logged 500 calories burned even though the machine indicated 700 calories burned.  I simply did not trust the figures the machine generated.  It can't know accurate calories burned as there was no place to even enter my weight.  Nevertheless, a one hour workout is going to burn some serious calories.

After the one hour workout, the machine indicated that I had burned 1350 calories, I am simply going to log 'only' 1000 calories as that sounded more reasonable to me.   The machine recorded that I made 4150 revolutions, and that number is accurate.   Four weeks ago, I don't think I could have lasted 5 minutes on an elliptical machine. 

I had planned on trying a new menu item at a nearby Subway for breakfast.  After my workout as I passed the free LaQuinta 'Brightside Breakfast,'  I caught a glimpse of a bowl of oranges.  Did they every look good!   So, I grabbed three, peeled them first, and that was my fulfilling and delicious breakfast yesterday morning.

After a one-hour elliptical workout, a breakfast of three oranges was absolutely delicious    240 CALORIES

TUESDAY MENU
breakfast      three oranges                                                                                                      240 calories
lunch             Applebee's Thai Shrimp Salad (no dressing)  w/cup Tortilla Soup              355 calories
dinner           PANERA SOBA NOODLE BOWL w/Chicken                                              390 calories

total calories consumed   985 calories

CALORIES BURNED
6AM   LaQuinta Elliptical Machine   60 minutes                  1000 calories
6PM    Baymont Inn NordicTrack Elliptical Machine            560 calories

total calories burned  1560

NET CALORIC DEFICIT   575 CALORIES





Applebee's lunch: lunch size portion Thai Shrimp Salad w/Chicken Tortilla Soup (no dressing)  360 CALORIES




It is very difficult to compare workouts on different elliptical machines.  Tuesday evening, I used a NordicTrack brand elliptical.   I set the 'resistance' to '10' and spent a half hour on the machine... When I was done, it had reported that I had made 1640 revolutions and 'burned' 562 calories.  I don't know how the machine can 'know' this since I had not input my weight - but I do know that I had a nice strenuous workout.   That is really all that matters.   Today I spent a total of 90 minutes on two different elliptical machines - Is it possible that I am already forgetting what I tried to teach myself last week?  Less is More.  (apparently, the answer is yes, I have forgotten)

The NordicTrack elliptical machine reported 346 watts...What is a watt? 
(I don't know but I will find out)



Dinner at Panera Bread: SOBA NOODLE BOWL with CHICKEN 390 CALORIES

No comments: