Thursday, February 19, 2015

TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER? I'LL PASS. OR TRIPLE BYPASS

I was driving to an appointment in Chicago to sell some buttons when I passed a billboard touting McDonald's newest creation - TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER.  I think I might have missed my calling in life.  Back when I was 17 years old and working at Burger King, (earning the minimum wage of $1.85 per hour) there was a deduction on my pay for each day worked as it was assumed that we would be eating our meals during our breaks at the restaurant.  We were allowed to have anything we wanted.  I used my creativity.  It was nearly 40 years ago that I thought that I had invented the TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER.   As I recall, even back then, I always had two of them.  When I look at the calorie count of this recent introduction by McDonald's I see that one of these triple cheeseburgers has more than half the calories that I have had in a typical day since I changed the course of my nutritional life.  It will be a long, long time before I get the urge to eat one of these things.  Never seems like an appropriate time frame.  (Just for laughs, someday if you ever order one of these things, take good look at it - I promise it will not look anything like you you see in this picture!)



McDonald's Triple Cheeseburger
CALORIES 510
PROTEIN 31g
FAT 27g
CARBS 36g

I need to remember to thank God that I have the health that I do.  I think I will pass on the opportunity to eat this menu item offered by McDonald's.  (That should not be too difficult as I am avoiding everything at McDonald's.)  This triple cheeseburger is the type of food that can lead to something called a triple bypass.  I don't really know what that completely means - and I am not anxious to find out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I made an effort to cut back a little bit on my breakfast, lunch and dinner so that I could have some calories to spare that I could 'spend' on some 'L'chaims' at the Farbrengen last evening.

WEDNESDAY MENU
breakfast   three poached eggs                                             220 calories
lunch         Jason's Deli Cup of Spicy Seafood Gumbo       200 calories
dinner       5 oz Irish Lamb Stew, Chicken Tortilla Soup    280 calories

FARBRENGEN  6 'L'chaims' (shots of whiskey)               420 calories

TOTAL CALORIES (including breakfast, lunch, dinner and 6 'L'chaims' was 1120.  (This was the first day since December 24, 2014 that I consumed more than 1000 calories in a single day.  It was a good streak while it lasted.  The streak was broken for a good cause - the birthday farbrengen of my dear friend, Rabbi Meir Chai Benhiyoun)  I had anticipated the possibility that I might overindulge a bit - therefore I worked out for three sessions yesterday.  Even after my meals and 'L'chaims' were tallied up - my caloric intake yesterday still came out to a deficit of 130.

calories burned
6AM   elliptical 31 minutes      415 calories
6PM    elliptical 31 minutes      415 calories
8PM    elliptical 31 minutes      420 calories

net caloric deficit   -130 calories


My good friend, neighbor and Rabbi - Meir Chai Benhiyoun, whose birthday we celebrated last evening.

No comments: