Friday, February 27, 2015

SHEIK YERBOUTI

In 1979, Frank Zappa unleashed upon the world his best selling album, Sheik Yerbouti.  (He appeared looking like an Arab Sheik, the album title was pronounced SHAKE YOUR BOOTY, which was the title of a 1976 disco hit from KC and the Sunshine Band)  I couldn't resist taking a 'selfie' while enjoying a sauna at the YMCA.  A good way to get punched in the face is whipping out a camera phone in a public sauna - as I was alone - it seemed OK.


Sheik Yerbouti, 1979

The photo on the left is Frank Zappa, as Sheik Yerbouti, 1979.   The photo on the right, is my version of Sheik Yerbouti, 2015.   This trip to the Detroit area was the first time that I had the opportunity to take advantage of my new YMCA membership.   The facility in Royal Oak, Michigan is very modern.   I had the chance to visit three times this week.   I went the first time after my work day had concluded on Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday I started my day at the YMCA. OK, I admit it.  It is a great feeling to work out, use a sauna, take a shower and get dressed and then start the day.  I can get used to this lifestyle.  

I finally figured out how best to use the elliptical machine on my third day. This time I set the controls for an 'interval' workout. I completed a 1 hour workout.  I was able to make more than 8000 strides in one hour on that machine with the 'resistance' set to '10' and the 'incline' set to '10.' It seems somewhat ironic that I had so much difficulty walking up one flight of stairs to the locker room afterwards.

YMCA ELLIPTICAL MACHINE AFTER A FULL ONE HOUR WORKOUT



THURSDAY MENU

breakfast   STARBUCKS Bacon & Gouda Breakfast Sandwich                     350 CALORIES
lunch         PANERA Soba Noodle Bowl w/Chicken                                       390 CALORIES
dinner        JIMMY JOHN'S Bootlegger Club Unwich w/Provolone              280 CALORIES

total calories consumed    1020 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
9AM    YMCA Elliptical 60 minutes                    735 CALORIES
9PM     home elliptical machine  31 minutes        400 CALORIES

total calories burned   1135 CALORIES

CALORIC DEFICIT     -115 CALORIES

No comments: