Thursday, May 21, 2015

JUMPING JACK FLASH, IT'S A GAS, GAS, GAS(TROENTEROLOGY)

My blog heading today is my attempt at a little bit of humor.  'Jumping Jack Flash. It's a gas, gas, gas' are lyrics from a Rolling Stones song. So the title was my little way of injecting either humor or cleverness into this post - perhaps I have done neither. I don't know...

My second follow-up with my physician on May 11 indicated anemia.  As it had been nearly a decade since my initial colonoscopy. It was highly recommended that I get this procedure again now to discover what may be causing the anemia. Yesterday I met the one of the partners at the GASTROENTEROLOGIST office and it was not much more than an initial consultation.  My 'procedure' is scheduled for Friday - this means that today's (Thursday) menu will not be too complicated. I will be home all day emptying my colon. Sounds like great fun...

MOVIPREP what I am under doctor's orders to drink today. Approximately one liter around 11AM and another liter around 7PM. And the effect of this will be that I will be 'evacuating' my colon all day. I can drink clear liquids, like flavored water, until midnight. The closest thing to food that I am allowed to eat is chicken or beef broth and/or Yellow Jello.

I find this name of this product somewhat amusing - MOVIPREP? It seems to me that in the old days when I went to the movie theatre to watch the latest James Bond or Star Trek Film - my idea of 'MOVIE PREP' was to stop at a Walgreen's to pick up enough candy and other sweets to last me through a two hour movie. This 'MOVIPREP' is whole different ballgame!

Since I am have persistently exercised each day since January 3rd, and it appears that today was not going to be a day for exercise - I did manage to spend my 32 minutes on the elliptical machine at 12 o'clock midnight (Thursday) just a few hours ago - so that I have 'officially' not missed a day of exercise since the beginning of the year.  Tomorrow after my procedure and after the effects of the anesthesia have worn off and after I eat some kind of hearty meal - it should not be too long before I am ready to get my 32 minutes in on Friday.

WEDNESDAY MENU
breakfast  bowl steel cut oatmeal w/prune, two poached eggs, three slices turkey 'bacon'  535 calories
lunch       MARIANO'S HUGE SALAD                                                                              500 calories
dinner      spinach salad w/hearts of palm, beets, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomato
                7 oz salmon, canned asparagus, Cracovia cucumber salad
                pecans, 3 Organic Medjool dates, 28 almonds                                             1286 calories

total calories consumed 2321 calories

calories burned
9AM elliptical 32 minutes 546 calories

WEDNESDAY NET CALORIES 1775 CALORIES

I definitely had a more for dinner than I usually consume - tomorrow should balance it out nicely.  Today, my calories will be much closer to zero than 1000.  I am allowed to have broth and jello.
This is going to be a challenging day - I am fairly certain about that....

My next post on Friday morning will likely be delayed about 6 hours later than normal.   I am going to wait until I return from the colonoscopy before I post.

I was thinking that this was going to be a very unusual day today. I did want to know my weight before dehydrating myself with MOVIPREP. This morning, I weighed 219 lbs. I am still more-or-less where I need to be right now. I think that I have been stretching the limits of caloric intake if I still want to lose weight. After this colonoscopy and after this weekend, I expect to have a little less enthusiasm for 2000 calorie days. However, even after eating as much as I have been eating... almonds, pecans, dates and a few too many apples and huge salads, and generally bigger portions of everything... I must remind myself that I am still down exactly 90 pounds. I want to get back in the direction of weighing less - but I am in unambiguously in a very good place right now. I do look and feel great. I will feel greater around lunchtime tomorrow after my colonoscopy!

 See you on Friday...!





No comments: