Tuesday, May 5, 2015

YMCA TOUR OF AMERICA CONTINUES...

Today I am headed to Madison, Wisconsin for an overnight trip.  I have secured my hotel and mapped out the closest YMCA which I intend to visit.  Of course, 'mapped out' is just an expression these days - I have not used an actual map in nearly 10 years.  I guess I could be more precise by writing that I have entered the address into my Garmin GPS device.  This seems like a good time to list the various YMCA facilities that I have visited so far.


YMCA Marshfield Avenue Chicago (This is my 'home' YMCA)
YMCA Danville, Illinois
YMCA Indianapolis Indiana (Baxter location)
YMCA Ann Arbor, Michigan
YMCA Jacksonville, Illinois
YMCA Maumee, Ohio
YMCA Onalaska, Wisconsin
YMCA Royal Oak, Michigan (This is the only one that charges guests $5 per visit)
YMCA Marquette, Michigan
YMCA Lyndhurst, Ohio (Hillcrest location)
YMCA New Hope, Minnesota
YMCA St Paul, Minnesota

It does appear that I am making good use of my membership fees since I (re)joined the YMCA in February.   Each facility is different and some have been superior.  In every case, without exception, the people that work at the YMCA have been terrific.  It is wonderful and amazing that so many employees that I have come in contact with have been so friendly, warm and helpful.

Some of these facilities have steam rooms, some have whirlpool hot tubs.   All have adequate lockers with access to great showers with hot water and soap.   It has become quite fun to visit one of these facilities for the first time and see how different they are.   So far, the absolute nicest one has been in Onalaska, Wisconsin.   The facility is very new, having been constructed within the past 10 years.  In contrast, my home YMCA was constructed within the past century - and just barely!  The pool at the Onalaska YMCA looked like the pool one might see at a recently constructed water park.  I think that without exception, each of these facilities opens in the morning no later than 5:30AM - so they really cater to those that need to get a workout and shower in before heading off to work.  As you can see, I have really become a fan of the YMCA.

MONDAY MENU

breakfast three eggs, three slices turkey 'bacon'   cup oatmeal                    460 calories
lunch       spinach salad w/hearts of palm, tomato, mushroom, beets
                bay scallops, one giant sea scallop, 3 ounces shrimp,  asparagus
                Costco Chicken Tortilla Soup                                                        459 calories
dinner     spinach salad w/hearts of palm, tomato, mushroom, beets
                Trader Joe's Turkey burger, 28 almonds, 100 grams cucumber salad   479 calories

TOTAL CALORIC CONSUMPTION  1399 CALORIES

calories burned
6PM elliptical 32 minutes 442 calories

MONDAY NET CALORIES   957 CALORIES

No comments: