Monday, March 30, 2015

SWEET HOME CHICAGO

My daughter, Sara, 13 years old completed her "History Fair Project" and submitted it more than a week ago.  The theme of the paper was 'leadership.'   Her paper is titled: Sweet Home Chicago: "The Candy Capital of the World".   Sara (with some expert guidance from her Mom) worked on this for more than three months.  This project involved trips to the library, actually reading the books that were relevant, and an interview with Therese McDonald, the owner of Candyality, a local upscale candy boutique here in Chicago.  Her quote served as the last line of Sara's paper, "...candy is in Chicago's DNA..."

Sweet Home Chicago: The History of America's Candy Capital," was a look at the history of Chicago's candy industry. The exhibit was on display at Harold Washington Library during  2013.
I just read the completed paper for the first time yesterday.   Honestly, I was amazed how well thought-out it was and how easily it 'flowed'.   The history fair project is a country-wide competition for 7th graders.  Sara's paper was the only paper nominated from her school to advance to the city-wide competition.   This was announced on Thursday over the loudspeaker at school.  Now that I have read the paper, I must admit - I can easily see it advancing.   After the city-wide competition comes the state-wide competition in Springfield, Illinois.   Who knows how far this might advance?  It does not matter, I am immensely proud of my daughter for this accomplishment.


I have just read a paper exclusively about candy with an emphasis on chocolate.  The 10 page paper focuses on the leadership shown by Chicago in the innovations in manufacturing and distribution of candy during the last 100 years.  My accomplishment regarding this is straightforward.  After reading this - I managed to somehow continue to keep the willpower to not have any candy or chocolate!   I have lost 75 lbs in the past 96 days by avoiding all sweets.  So, for the time being, I will savor the sweetness of Sara's accomplishment.  This particular sweetness is very healthy and very low calorie!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

SUNDAY MENU

breakfast    three eggs sunnyside up, two slices turkey 'bacon'                              240 calories
lunch          lamb bratwurst, spinach salad w/tomato                                              340 calories
dinner         lamb bratwurst, spinach salad w/tomato, Thai Sweet Potato Soup    505 calories

total calories consumed   1085 calories

CALORIES BURNED
elliptical machine 32 minutes (first time 'resistance level' was set to '14') 506 calories

SUNDAY NET CALORIES 579 calories

This store looks like they have lots of tasty treats... It will be a few more months before I want to sample any.
I have not given up candy and chocolate for the rest of my life - but I will learn 'portion control.'

No comments: