Tuesday, March 10, 2015

WHAT'S UP?

What's up?  Me.  I am in the UP.  Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  This is the part of Michigan that is directly north of Wisconsin.  Specifically, I am in Marquette, Michigan.  During winter, November thru April, Marquette averages nearly 120" of snow.  In March, Marquette averages 22" of snow.  How about this?  In April, yes, you read that correctly, Marquette averages 8" of snow.  During May, Marquette averages 1" of snow.

Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Winter in the Upper Peninsula runs from November thru April
Somehow, I got lucky.   I am here in the UP and when I woke up yesterday morning and went to the YMCA in total darkness at 7AM, it was 36 degrees.   Remarkably, back home, nearly 400 miles south, Chicago was 28 degrees, nearly 10 degrees colder than Marquette.  I apparently picked a very good week for my visit to see some customers up this way.  I guess somebody 'UP' there likes me.

Marquette, Michigan YMCA after my workout
Every time I use a different elliptical machine, there is the challenge to set it so that I can maximize the benefit.  This morning, at the YMCA, I set the machine and I found the entire workout very challenging.  Although the calories burned figure was less than my home machine, I am sure that was the beneficiary of a solid workout as the 36 minute experience was not easy.

36 minutes on the PRECOR EFX546 elliptical machine
MONDAY MENU

breakfast    STARBUCKS   cup of oatmeal w/dried blueberries                            260 calories
lunch          JIMMY JOHNS turkey tom unwich                                                      80 calories
dinner         RED LOBSTER 3 shrimp tacos, garden salad, wild rice pilaf            840 calories

TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED 1180

CALORIES BURNED
7AM YMCA elliptical machine 36 minutes                           437 calories

MONDAY NET CALORIES  743 CALORIES




Wood-Grilled Taco
New! Wood-Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Three flour shrimp tortillas, cilantro slaw, jalapeño ranch and house-made pico de gallo. Served with wild rice pilaf.  $10.99



RED LOBSTER: 3 WOOD-GRILLED SHRIMP TACOS w/Wild Rice Pilaf  770 CALORIES.  My calories consumed might have been more than 100 less as I withheld the jalapeño ranch dressing. The next time I order these, likely today, I will skip the wild rice pilaf and reduce dinner by another 170 calories

No comments: