Friday, March 20, 2015

CALORIES, CARBOHYDRATES and INSULIN

When I started my weight loss journey I completely believed that it was ONLY calories that counted.  Certainly calories do count.  I have now learned that ALL CALORIES WERE NOT CREATED EQUAL.   I have learned that carbohydrates cause the body to produce insulin.

This definition came directly from wikipedia:
Insulin regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats by promoting the absorption of glucose from the blood to skeletal muscles and fat tissue and by causing fat to be stored rather than used for energy.
The more carbohydrate consumption increases, so does insulin production increase.  Insulin causes fat to be stored - not burned for energy.  I think that I have had the success that I have had, as I have greatly reduced by carbohydrates simply by limiting calories.    With a 1000 calories per day diet, there is not too much room to be loading up on carbohydrates.

Now that I am aware of this, I will be ever more vigilant in the future to insure that my carbohydrates are kept to a minimum.   This will be just as important, once I get down to my desired weight and increase my daily calorie consumption to 2400 calories per day which are enough calories to maintain a weight of 195 lbs.   CARBS DO COUNT.   They are not to be completely avoided - but one does not want to overdo it.


I can think of many times, sitting in a restaurant and practically eating a half loaf of bread before my meal arrived.  Those days are over.  Once I get down to 195 lbs - I intend to stay there!

THURSDAY MENU

breakfast     three small apples                                                                       165 calories
lunch           SUBWAY double chicken spinach salad w/tomato & onion     220 calories
dinner         sirloin soup, turkey burger, spinach salad with tomato              360 calories

total calories consumed  745 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
630AM elliptical machine 40 minutes 325 calories

THURSDAY NET CALORIES  420 CALORIES


dinner: turkey burger, spinach salad w/tomato, sirloin burger soup 360 CALORIES

No comments: