Sunday, March 22, 2015

CABBAGE SOUP

I have started making a collection of all kinds of diet books which are so easy to find used for a dollar or less.  I enjoy flipping through them and finding nuggets of interesting information. Often an entire chapter can grab my attention.  Each book has something of great value to offer.  I have noticed that many of these book are filled with recipes. Another thing that I have noticed about the myriad of weight loss blogs that my fellow 'losers' publish is that they are often replete with all kinds of recipes. My blog has been bereft of a single recipe.  Until now.

I have a customer who is 81 years old and she tells me she is not quite 5' tall.  She had gained too much weight over the years and was having trouble with her mobility.  She told me that she started her weight loss in the beginning of December and had successfully shed nearly 30 pounds!  She has done this, she says without any exercise.  And when I first saw her in early February she was raving about this cabbage soup.  She says she has it twice per day.  That may be a little extreme. But should I judge?  I have been living on a 1000 calorie per day diet since December 24th.  Even my doctor who gave me the 'blessing' to continue said it was "a little extreme."

On Saturday afternoon, my wife, Jennifer went to the store with ingredient list in hand and purchased everything required to make this soup.   Jennifer whipped this up quickly and I must say it was absolutely delicious.   In fact, Jennifer has made every breakfast, lunch and dinner when I am home exactly to my specifications.  She has carefully measured every teaspoon, tablespoon and cup of everything that has been served to me.  I would never have been as successful without her tireless enthusiasm and help.  Thank you, Jennifer!

CABBAGE SOUP SIMMERING ON THE STOVE

So...without further adieu....CABBAGE SOUP
(recipe comes from Divas Can Cook, Old School Living For The Modern Woman)

I N G R E D I E N T S
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup of white or yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz. can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
few shakes of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

 I N S T R U C T I O N S
 1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
 2. Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.
 3. Saute until slightly tender.
 4. Stir in garlic.
 5. Pour in chicken broth.
 6. Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
 7. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
 8. Cook until cabbage is tender
 9. Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt (optional)
10. Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
11. Serve and enjoy!

N O T E S
Jazz it up by adding lots of spices, herbs and a variety of veggies.
Keeps well in the fridge for about 3 day.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

SATURDAY MENU

breakfast   cup oatmeal w/prune, two poached eggs, two strips turkey 'bacon'    355 calories
lunch        organic herb blend salad, 6 oz Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon (can)
                 chunky grilled chicken & sausage Gumbo Soup                                 330 calories
dinner       organic herb blend salad w/tomato & 2 cups CABBAGE SOUP       123 calories

total calories consumed     808 calories

CALORIES BURNED
3PM elliptical machine 36 minutes        550 calories

SATURDAY NET CALORIES 258 CALORIES

dinner: Organic Herb Blend Salad w/tomato, 2 cups CABBAGE SOUP  123 CALORIES




No comments: