Tuesday, March 3, 2015

MULLIGATAWNY SOUP

In one of the most memorable episodes of SEINFELD, the cast has some conflict with the "Soup Nazi" who dispenses soup from his Manhattan Soup store but is very strict about how one orders and how one behaves while ordering his delicious soup.   One of the tastiest soups served up on this fictional TV show was the 'mulligatawny soup.'    Aside from this November 2, 1995 TV episode, I have never heard of mulligatawny soup before or since.   Yesterday, while shopping at Costco I saw some of this soup in the refrigerated section - and I simply had to buy some.   I added it to my dinner last night and it was delicious.   I had always half-thought that mulligatawny was a made up word!   (I guess you know now that I don't get out to Indian restaurants too often.)


Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza are seen here
ordering soup from the feared 'Soup Nazi.' (I don't 
think that there was a Costco in Manhattan back
in those days, or even now)


The soup that I purchased at Costco was Maya Kaimal Mulligatawny Soup.  "A zesty Indian style soup of tomatoes, rice, mushrooms and coconut cream."   The soup is further described on the packaging:

This famous soup has a rich and complicated past, like India itself.  Originally known as milagu tunni or "pepper water," during the reign of the British Raj this spicy broth was transformed into the thicker European-style soup we call Mulligatawny.  My vegetarian recipe resonates with cumin, cinnamon and fennel.  It's also loaded with wholesome vegetables and finished with coconut cream and a bright squeeze of lime.  It will warm your taste buds as well as your soul.  Maya Kaimal - Award winning cookbook author.
I can't say for sure if my soul was warmed - but I certainly did enjoy the soup.  Something that I have noticed, is that I am much more willing to try new foods these days.  And it seems that everything I try tastes good - I am sure that it is good to be truly hungry when eating a meal.

MULLIGATWANY SOUP from Costco, enough to make 6 cups is only $8.99

MONDAY MENU

breakfast  Oatmeal w/prune, two poached eggs, 2 strips turkey 'bacon'     355 CALORIES
lunch        Jimmy John's Bootlegger Club Unwich w/Provolone & Dijon    280 CALORIES
dinner       3.5 Salmon filet, spinach, cup mulligatawny soup                      340 CALORIES

TOTAL CALORIES   975 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED

On Monday morning I decided to increase the 'resistance' on the elliptical machine which made the workout much harder.  In fact, I spent only 20 minutes on the machine on Monday.   I have recently re-discovered that excess exercise might run counter to my weight-loss ambitions.

630M    ELLIPTICAL MACHINE    22 MINUTES          315 CALORIES

NET CALORIES     660 CALORIES





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think when we re-learn (or maybe learn for the first time) how we should be properly eating, we develop a healthy eating relationship with our diet, and maintaining our weight is relatively effortless. My boyfriend and I lost quite a bit of weight combined (http://wp.me/p5NIsT-14) and we've kept it off. We feel so much better now that we're giving our bodies what it really needs.