Wednesday, March 4, 2015

WEIGHT LOSS MYTH

Recently I have been saying that I had two hobbies: Losing weight and blogging about it.  A third hobby is developing, that is, listening to diet and/or weight loss podcasts.   One of these podcasts that I recently discovered is the CUT THE FAT podcast.   On the CUT THE FAT podcast,  episode 16, Aerobic Exercise on Trial - Does Aerobic Exercise Promote Weight Loss (originally released April 13, 2010)  I learned something very annoying.  It is only annoying because it appears to be true.


The thesis of the two hosts, Dr. Ray Hinish and fitness expert, Blythe Alberg is that AEROBIC EXERCISE DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE WEIGHT LOSS.   This seems contrary to everything that I have heard, or read in the past.  They make the case, backed up with scientific studies that the body tries to replace the 'fat' used during steady state aerobic exercise.  Aerobic exercise can be defined as walking on a treadmill, using an elliptical machine or stair climber.

The two hosts of this podcast stress that aerobic exercise may provide other benefits, including cardio-vascular health, stress reducer or simple enjoyment.

I think back to the week when I 'walked' 80 miles on the treadmill and had the expectation of losing 10+ pounds that week and I could not understand why I 'only' lost 3.5 lbs.  In fact, if the calories 'burned' were really negating a similar amount of calories consumed in food - my results should have been far in excess of what they already are.

These two hosts did claim that aerobic exercise is important to maintaining weight.   It is my plan to continue my aerobic exercise as I do enjoy it.   Perhaps I should be more clear, I feel a great sense of satisfaction once I complete an exercise session.

In my case, it does appear that I have had some beneficial weight loss from my exercise - but the math did not add up anywhere near where is should have been if a calorie burned in exercise was truly equal to a calorie consumed.  I will certainly continue my elliptical training as I am enjoying the sense of accomplishment that I feel as I continue to improve.

I am in desperate need of meeting with the personal trainer at the YMCA who can guide me to other exercises that I should be contemplating.   Hopefully that meeting will take place sometime within the next week.

I have decided to relearn the lesson that I tried to teach myself a few weeks ago.  LESS IS MORE.
I will continue exercising each day, but I will (mostly) limit myself to once per day.  In addition, two days ago, I increased the 'resistance' on the elliptical machine, making each 30 minute segment much more difficult and challenging.  On Tuesday morning, which was the second day that I had increased resistance, I found that my 30 minute workout was (allegedly) burning more calories.  It does make sense that as the 'resistance' increases the energy needed to overcome the 'resistance' will increase as well.   As it is every week, my weigh-in this Saturday should be interesting.

TUESDAY MENU

calories consumed

breakfast     oatmeal w/prune, 1/2 salmon burger, two poached eggs                   350 calories
lunch           JIMMY JOHN'S Bootlegger Club Unwich w/Provolone                  290 calories
dinner          PANERA BREAD Soba Noodle Bowl w/Chicken                           390 calories

calories consumed     1025 calories

calories burned
6AM elliptical machine 32 minutes        475 calories

net calories consumed   550 calories

(Based on the aerobic calorie burning myth that I exposed today - I now know not to place too much faith in the net calories that I report each day with regard to weight loss - although I will continue to do so.   I guess you could say I am reporting this for entertainment only)


No comments: