Monday, March 9, 2015

EAT THIS, NOT THAT!

I recently purchased this 2009 edition of EAT THIS, NOT THAT! by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding.  The premise of the book is that it lists different foods from the supermarket and restaurants.   It highlights the worst choice one can make, and offers a much better alternative.  In many cases, it's not that the alternative is particularly healthy, it's just that it is a lightyears better choice than option one.

EAT THIS, NOT THAT!  THE BEST [& WORST] FOODS IN AMERICA!


For example, I was leafing through the book and stumbled on a listing for SUBWAY.   Under the heading, THE WORST SANDWICHES IN AMERICA, I found SUBWAY FOOTLONG MEATBALL WITH CHEESE.  This sandwich has 1260 calories, 54 grams of fat, 3570 mg sodium, and 142 grams of carbohydrates.  Here's my question:  Is there a regular reader of this blog that doesn't think that this was one of my favorite sandwiches prior to December 24, 2014?  Of course, it was!  (although I found it necessary to always add chips, and sometimes three chocolate chip cookies)  The book offers an alternative at Subway: SUBWAY 6" DOUBLE ROAST BEEF.  This sandwich has 400 calories, 7 grams of fat, 1410 mg of sodium, and 47 carbohydrates. It's not that the alternative is to be considered 'Health Food' - but it is clearly a better alternative.

Another Subway sensation was found under the chapter, THE WORST FOODS FOR YOUR BLOOD SUGAR.  Here is the winner for MOST SUGAR PACKED SANDWICH.  SUBWAY FOOTLONG SWEET ONION TERIYAKI ON HONEY OAT BREAD.  This sandwich has 44 grams of sugar, 840 calories, 11 grams of fat, 2340 mg of sodium. Here's a real shocker, this too, was one of my favorites at Subway. (I always ordered this with chips, and often three chocolate chip cookies) The book again recommends an alternative: 6" OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST on 9-GRAIN.  9 grams sugar, 310 calories, 5 grams fat, 830 grams sodium.   And just to really point out how clueless I have been for a long time...8 years ago when I did lose 80 lbs, I started going to Subway as a 'healthy alternative' to the other fast food places.   Once again, Subway is indeed on my radar as a good place to catch a meal - nowadays, I am very careful about what I am ordering. I am not eating any 1000+ calorie surprises anymore.


One more example.   Under the heading, THE WORST MALL FOODS IN AMERICA, I found Panda Express.  Specifically listed as THE WORST CHINESE MEAL is the PANDA EXPRESS ORANGE CHICKEN WITH FRIED RICE.  This meal has 1025 calories, 44 grams of fat, 1640 mg sodium.  The book offers an alternative.  BROCCOLI BEEF and MIXED VEGGIES. 260 calories, 15 grams fat, 680 mg sodium.   Of course, Orange Chicken was one of my absolute favorites at Panda Express. You have to admit - I seem to have had a certain natural ability to zero in on the worst imaginable food choice at any establishment that I visited.  With some careful pre-planning, and reviewing of nutritional information on published websites, I have reversed this particular ability.



Sunday was a day of driving.  I left Chicago and drove nearly 400 miles to Marquette in the 'UP' (Upper Peninsula of Michigan)   The 'UP' is north of Wisconsin.  An oddity about the 'UP', especially the part north of Wisconsin is that it is in the EASTERN TIME ZONE.   Last night, we set the clocks forward one hour for Daylight Savings Time, and by driving up (north) to the 'UP', I had to set my clock forward another hour.  It is odd, that today, although I did not drive in an easterly direction from Chicago... my internal body clock is apparently off by two hours.

SUNDAY MENU
breakfast     STARBUCKS  spinach & feta breakfast wrap                               290 calories
lunch           JIMMY JOHN'S bootlegger club unwich w/provolone                 280 calories
dinner         APPLEBEE'S 9oz Sirloin Steak, cup of Chicken Tortilla Soup     560 calories

total consumption   1130 calories  (I am going to be a little less crazy about keeping my caloric
consumption under 1000 calories per day, every day, going forward.  Although my doctor gave his blessing for me to continue staying under 1000 calories per day, he did also say that I should increase it when I am ready.   I have no intention of increasing my caloric consumption much above 1200 for the foreseeable future.)

CALORIES BURNED
7AM  home elliptical machine before driving to Marquette, Michigan  35 minutes   555 calories

SUNDAY NET CALORIES   575 CALORIES





No comments: