Friday, April 10, 2015

BECOMING OVERWEIGHT - A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT

Since this journey began I have been dreaming of becoming overweight.   Huh?  You ask.   Well, I must remind you that I began this adventure at 309 lbs and was classified at CLASS III MORBID OBESITY.  Eventually I 'graduated' from that classification and into 'only' CLASS II OBESITY and then into CLASS I OBESITY.  I am currently nearing the end of my membership in CLASS I OBESITY.   I bought a pair of 36" waist cargo summer shorts for my next stop on the 'waistline express.'   I tried them on last night to see just how far away I was from wearing them.  To my, happy shock, I actually could get them on and I could zip them up!  Now they are far too tight and uncomfortable to wear (aside from the fact that here in Chicago it is not shorts wearing season just yet)  The point is, I do think that there is a chance of me graduating out of CLASS I OBESITY tomorrow when I step onto the scale.   If not I do not reach this goal tomorrow morning, it's sure bet that I will graduate from CLASS I OBESITY within days.   Graduation out of the CLASS I OBESITY will give me a brand-new classification - OVERWEIGHT.   Not that many people would be so happy being officially overweight - but under my circumstances - I will be ecstatic.

I must admit that the BMI tables that generate these classifications are somewhat controversial.   At 309 lbs - there isn't a soul on planet earth that would have seen me as anything but obese.   At my last current recorded weight, 229.6 lbs - I do not think that there would be too many people who would look at me who say, "Wow, look at that guy - he's obese."   I do somehow manage to wear my clothes well - but when that shirt comes off, I can see that I do still have plenty of extra flab that needs to be David Copperfield(ed) into 'thin air' (pun intended).


STAR TREK: SO VERY TIRED  (SIMPSONS SPOOF)
I only have to remember back to December 2014 to be sympathetic to Scotty.

Announcer: "Star Trek XII: So Very Tired"... see the original cast in the latest and greatest adventure!
[three Birds of Prey confront the Enterprise]
Sulu: Captain, Klingons off the starboard bow.
Cpt. Kirk: [exasperated] Again with the Klingons.
[activates communicator]
Cpt. Kirk: Mr. Scott, give me full power.
[in the engine room]
Scotty: It's no good, captain.
[Scotty is too fat reach the engineering computer]
Scotty: I ca'not reach the control panel!


This is not exactly the type of 'bucket list' that's too healthy!
Even skinny people probably have difficulty with
today's cell phones.

Fat AND Happy?  That's a myth.
HOWEVER, SOON I WILL BE OVERWEIGHT AND HAPPY!
I THINK I HAVE EXPLAINED THAT UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCE.



























I am apparently very close to being (only) OVERWEIGHT.  I am very excited. I am getting close to tipping the scale at a weight that my body has not seen since the 1980's. Although I did get down to 220 lbs for about 5 minutes 8 years ago - I never saw 219 lbs. This time, I expect to take this journey much further.  I still have the life-long dream of a Grand Canyon mule ride beckoning me...if a donkey trip is to be in my future...I still have a long way to go...  This is an exciting time in my life.

I still kinda cracks me up and amazes me...

...that only two days after 'discovering' that I weighed 309 lbs at a doctor visit...
...and only 48 hours after managing to eat like a normal human being for two consecutive days...
...I decided that I was going to lose (at least) 100 lbs AND BLOG ABOUT IT. (daily)
...I believe that's called CHUTZPAH!
...Who does that?
...Who does that, and puts their own name on their so-called diet plan, RABBI HILLEL DIET?
...and who names their own program and prints up their own business cards?
...apparently, I do - because I did.

I titled today's blog entry: BECOMING OVERWEIGHT - A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT.
There might be something oxymoronic about that title...

You see, as I am about to become ONLY 'overweight' for the first time in nearly a decade...
This particular achievement has seen me become far LESS huge.
So, in a way, it's a SMALL achievement.
(Getting to 309 lbs - that was an unwise, unwanted, undesired, unhealthy LARGE achievement)
I am glad to be forfeiting that dubious accomplishment!

BMIClassification
        < 18.5    underweight
   18.5–24.9    normal weight
   25.0–29.9    overweight
   30.0–34.9    class I obesity
   35.0–39.9    class II obesity
  ≥ 40.0      class III obesity  

My 'magic' number is 224.2. (6ft, 1/2 inches tall) to exit OBESITY.

224.2 lbs will officially classify me as overweight!
The question: Did I manage to drop 5.4 lbs this week?  It's a tall order...

VISIT ME TOMORROW AND FIND OUT...
...I KNOW I WILL!


THURSDAY MENU

breakfast  one scrambled egg, two sausage links, SHMURAH MATZO                 280 CALORIES
lunch        JACK'S DELI & RESTAURANT (yep I did go back!)
                 SCRAMBLED EGGS w/NOVA LOX, PICKLE, TOMATO, MATZO   439 CALORIES
dinner      JIMMY JOHN'S bootlegger club UMWICH w/veggies                           280 CALORIES

total caloric consumption     939 CALORIES

CALORIES CONSUMED
YMCA 9AM elliptical machine 35 minutes     485 calories

THURSDAY NET CALORIES      454 CALORIES

JACK'S DELI & RESTAURANT: On my return visit, I ordered SCRAMBLED EGGS w/NOVA LOX, tomato and matzo.  UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS!  no, seriously!

more from JACK'S YIDDISH 101
I didn't see this sign during my first visit on Tuesday...and this one is the best of  all of them!




No comments: