Monday, April 27, 2015

CHUTZPAH

2015 has been a very momentous year in my life.  Just two days past four months ago, on December 24, 2014, I visited my doctor for 'wellness' exam.  As I have mentioned a few times, on this date I 'discovered' that my weight had ballooned up to 309 pounds.  I didn't need to see a doctor to learn that I was a clinically morbidly obese man - the world has no shortage of mirrors - I was aware of my condition. Sometime, during that appointment while discussing my weight with my doctor - I flipped a switch in my head - and decided right then and there that I was going to change the direction of my life.  I had planned on doing this 'starting tomorrow' for the past decade - my decision just made 'tomorrow' actually arrive.  Starting with my lunch that I had that very first day, I started making new decision regarding what I would be cramming into my 'pie hole.' (an expression I learned from Glenn Beck, a man that I greatly admire)

After merely two days of eating like a normal human being, in fact, restricting my daily caloric consumption from somewhere north of 5000 calories per day to south of 1000 calories per day,  I made another decision. The decision was to lose weight.  lots of weight.

CHUTZPAH

I figured that my anticipated journey from a 309 pound morbidly obese man to normal weight human being would make an interesting story.   I decided, that I was going to go public with my thoughts and actions via a blog.  On the very first day of my blog I posted 'before' pictures. Well, actually, they were not 'before' pictures at all - they were 'current' pictures.   I tried as best I could to capture my obesity in photos,  some photos were even 'topless.'   It took some real chutzpah to start this blog at this early date.  After all, if I failed, my failure would be broadcast not only to my immediate family - but to the world (or at least those in the world that would pay attention to my blog.)

It takes CHUTZPAH to start a blog documenting a 100+ weigh loss (before the first ounce has been shed!)










Today, April 27, 2015 means that four months have passed since this journey began. My success has been spectacular.  I have exceeded my own expectations in speed but not the result. I certainly expected to be successful, but I never dreamed that I would come this far in only four months.  It is the speed of my success which has astounded me. If I hadn't expected to be successful, I never would have summoned the chutzpah to start this journey.

This past Saturday, just two days ago, when I stepped onto my scale, I learned and announced to the world that my weight loss had reached 95 pounds.  This is no small accomplishment.  I am not done.

Time for some sports analogies.  I do think that I am in the 'late innings' of this part of the journey. Maybe it's only the 'seventh inning stretch.'   It's certainly the 'fourth quarter.'  It's late in the 'third period.'  As New York Yankees Hall of Famer, Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over." Now the truth is, in this type of journey, it's never going to be over.  The whole trip will have been an exercise in futility if I fail to commit to a lifelong program of eating well. I anticipate that I have become too smart (and way too happy) to backslide (again).
7th Inning Stretch
I have not yet posted side by side BEFORE/AFTER photos.  I am not quite ready to do so, just yet. I will be visiting my doctor for my third time during this journey in two weeks.  I remember, shocking him when I showed up after 60 days and had lost more than 50 pounds.  I presume he will be less shocked, but still somewhat amazed that after an additional 90 days I will have lost perhaps ANOTHER 50 POUNDS on top of the first 50 pounds!  I will be using this visit to discuss how long I  could/should continue my 1000 calorie per day diet.  I will be using this visit to discuss where my goal could/should be.  I have some ideas,  but I will be seeking his guidance.

A weight loss journey is never over.  

2015 HAS BEEN A MOMENTOUS YEAR IN MY LIFE.  This whole trip started just four months ago.  The journey that really never ends, has only just started...  I don't know if you are amazed - but I am!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
SUNDAY MENU
breakfast oatmeal w/prune, two poached eggs, two slices turkey 'bacon'                     355 calories
lunch       Spinach salad w/hearts of palm, mushrooms, 9 cherry tomato, onions  
                Trader Joe's All Natural Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
                Miso Soup (2 cups)   4 Dill Baby Pickles,  2 ounces Seaweed Salad            334 calories
dinner     Spinach salad w/hearts of palm, mushrooms, 9 cherry tomato, onions
               Trader Joe's All Natural Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
               Bowl Miso Soup, 4 Dill Baby Pickles, Seaweed Salad, 12 asparagus spears 359 calories

TOTAL CALORIE CONSUMPTION 1048 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
6PM elliptical 32 minutes 431 calories

SUNDAY NET CALORIES  617 CALORIES


HUGE DINNER, SMALL CALORIC CONTENT
SPINACH SALAD w/mushrooms, hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, onions, zero calorie dressing (79 CALORIES)
TWO CUPS MISO SOUP (90 CALORIES)
TWELVE FRESH ASPARAGUS SPEARS, TWO OUNCES SEAWEED SALAD (60 CALORIES)
TRADER JOE'S ALL NATURAL SWEET APPLE CHICKEN SAUSAGE (120 CALORIES)
FOUR BABY DILL PICKLES (10 CALORIES)
GRAND TOTAL 359 CALORIES


chutz·pah
ˈho͝otspə,ˈKHo͝otspə/
noun
informal
  1. shameless audacity; impudence.
    synonyms:audacitycheek, guts, nerve, boldness, temerity
    "it took a lot of chutzpah for her to walk in on Owen's bachelor party"

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments: