Wednesday, April 8, 2015

JACK'S DELI and RESTAURANT (JEWISH DELI - CLEVELAND)

As I have previously discussed, I am a creature of habit. I am trying to break the habit of being so predictable. For years, I bounced around among Burger King, McDonalds, Panera Express, White Castle and Subway. It was a rare day that I deviated from one of these five places for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The times that I did deviate, I actually managed to find a place to eat even less healthy - and that's not easy. Lately, I have been bouncing around restaurants offering far healthier choices: Jason's Deli, Panera Bread, Applebee's and Subway (making very different choices than I used to!)

Today, I met a customer for the first time in a very Jewish section of Cleveland, University Heights. I found myself in the heart of Jewish community with Jewish style food at a bunch of places. So, I decided to sample a new place today. I visited Jack's Deli and Restaurant a legendary restaurant in the Cleveland area for more than 30 years.



And although, I do not do a good job of keeping Kosher for Passover, I decided that I would order from the 'Passover' menu.  It was thoroughly enjoyable and it was simply fun to eat somewhere different.  When I visited my Mom last week, I had a lot of horseradish with gefilte fish with two meals.  My Mom's gefilte fish was store-bought, but the horseradish was homemade.  At Jack's the gefilte fish and the horseradish were both homemade.  (My Mom's horseradish was better - and no, I'm not just saying that because I know she reads my blog!)  Here was the menu that I selected from:

Jack's Deli and Restaurant  PASSOVER SPECIALS MENU

I started my lunch with a bowl of Matzo Ball Soup, and the matzo ball was the size of an apple! It was quite delicious.

Jack's Deli and Restaurant MATZO BALL SOUP
After my soup, I had the homemade gefilte fish with carrots, with horseradish and a piece of matzo.


Jack's Deli and Restaurant HOMEMADE GEFILTE FISH w/CARROTS and HORSERADISH
I may return to this restaurant again before my week in the Cleveland area comes to a conclusion...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

TUESDAY MENU

breakfast   Baymont Inn scrambled egg, two small sausages, SHMURAH MATZAH  280 calories
lunch         Matzo Ball Soup, Gefilte Fish w/carrots and horseradish, Matzo, pickle     421 calories
dinner        Campbell's Home Style Italian-Style Wedding Soup, Asparagus Spears     305 calories

total caloric consumption  1006 calories

calories burned
YMCA ELLIPTICAL 35 minutes (3936 strides)     443 calories
I specifically reserved a hotel room that allegedly had a fitness room.  The fitness room at my hotel was extremely bad.  There actually was an elliptical machine and it was totally useless as it simply was in great disrepair.  As it turned out, it was not a problem as nearby was a Y!

TUESDAY NET CALORIES    563 CALORIES


The walls of Jack's Deli and Restaurant were adorned with Yiddish words with their definitions.  Naturally, I took some pictures of them.  Shmooze, I knew.  Everything else, not so much!








No comments: