Sunday, April 19, 2015

HALF-DOME YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

Half Dome is a granite dome in Yosemite National Park, California.  It is Yosemite's most well-known rock.  The granite crest rises more than 4,737 feet above the valley floor.  And I tell you this, because my once-in-a-life experience will be taking place this October when I am part of an expedition of five guys who are going to its summit.

Half Home Yosemite National Park
My brother Andy has been trying to organize a trip with a small group of climbers for the past three years.   Two years ago his trip was scuttled during the United States Government partial shut-down.  Last year, again, the trip was scuttled when the park was closed due to huge wild fires in the Park.  Apparently, it was God's plan that I be invited and included in this expedition.  God was just waiting for me to lose 90 pounds so that I could be invited and would agree to participate.

The trip is scheduled for Thursday, October 1 in nearly six months time.  I think I have time to train and get myself physically and mentally prepared for this challenge.  The hike immediately becomes another one of my 'life-long dreams.'  (although this dream began less than 48 hours ago)

from http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm
Rising nearly 5,000 feet above Yosemite Valley and 8,800 feet above sea level, Half Dome is a Yosemite icon and a great challenge to many hikers. Despite an 1865 report declaring that it was "perfectly inaccessible, being probably the only one of the prominent points about the Yosemite which never has been, and never will be, trodden by human foot," George Anderson reached the summit in 1875, in the process laying the predecessor to today's cable route.


I will definitely be required and enjoy becoming even more focused on my wellness, diet and fitness training in the upcoming months.   This is going to be exciting.

The countdown to Half Dome begins now...
...165 days to go!

SATURDAY MENU

breakfast  two eggs, two slices turkey bacon, oatmeal, prune                                        355 calories
lunch        CABBAGE SOUP, spinach salad w/tomato, Salmon Burger                        243 calories
dinner       BLACK ANGUS SIRLOIN 4oz, spinach, 9 cherry tomato, Cabbage Soup 378 calories

total calories consumed 976 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED
6PM elliptical 42 minutes 483 CALORIES

SATURDAY NET CALORIES 493 CALORIES





No comments: