Friday, April 3, 2015

FITNESS TRACKING APPLICATION - MapMyWalk

MapMyWalk is an application that I downloaded onto my iPhone back in December and finally got around to using it yesterday.  This is the description of the application lifted from their own website:
MapMyWalk is a fitness tracking application that enables you to use the built-in GPS of your mobile device to track all of your fitness activities. Record your workout details, including duration, distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned, and route traveled on an interactive map. You can even effortlessly save and upload your workout data to MapMyWalk where you can view your route workout data, and comprehensive workout history.
I was still visiting my Mom in Lynbrook, New York yesterday and the nearest YMCA was not very near.  I decided that a simple brisk walk would be my form of exercise for the day.  It was the first time since I started exercising that I experienced the great outdoors.  I was mentally prepared for a spring day in New York so I was a bit surprised that the temperature was 36 degrees for this little adventure.  I chose a path which mirrored the way I used to get to my high school (Valley Stream South High School.  I graduated from in 1975)   After I reached my high school I chose a different path to return to my Mom's home.   Although I don't have great faith in the calories burned reported by this app, which seem an unlikely high number - I am sure that I did burn calories as I was walking fast enough to raise my heart rate - although I don't know what my heart rate was - that's where an apple iWatch comes in handy - a product that I might consider later this month.


MapMyWalk calculated that the entire walk turned out to be 4.77 miles and that I made 9970 steps.  I averaged 12:22 minutes/mile which took 63 minutes.  The application 'thinks' I burned 1342 calories... I find that number ridiculously high.   In fact, for the entry I use in my absolute favorite app, MyFitnessPal, I will record only 1/3 of that number for calories burned which will be 447 calories.   It does not really matter what number I record... if more calories were indeed burned - so be it - no complaints here.

Dinner took place at a fabulous restaurant: FRED'S at BARNEY's (9th floor of the famous clothing store)  This was for the 80th birthday celebration of my Mom.   My youngest brother, had selected the restaurant with an eye for a place where I would be able to find something suitable to eat - as well as a cousin who he claimed can find nothing to eat 'nothing' anywhere.   I selected the Sushi grade Tuna and ordered it charred on the outside and and raw on the inside.  I substituted the couscous for an order of fresh asparagus.   As a result, I had a terrific dinner, which was extremely low calorie.

dinner: FRED'S at BARNEY'S (9th floor) Sushi Grade Tuna, charred on the outside, asparagus  350 calories


WEDNESDAY MENU

breakfast     two scrambled eggs, three prunes, two slices smoked turkey 'bacon         263 calories
lunch          gefilte fish w/horseradish, slice Manischewitz Matza, CABBAGE SOUP 262 calories
dinner         Fred's at Barney's 10 oz Sushi Grade Tuna, half-cup asparagus                 350 calories

total calories consumed   855 calories

CALORIES BURNED
9AM BRISK WALK FROM LYNBROOK/VALLEY STREAM  4.77 MILES      447 CALORIES

TOTAL NET CALORIES WEDNESDAY 408 CALORIES


These were two cartoons that my Mom had cut out of the newspaper to show me... So what to do? Add them to my blog, of course!




This was the destination of for my 4.77 mile walk yesterday: Valley Stream South High School.
I graduated in 1975, and from the outside, it looked unchanged.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great post. I've learnt some important things from your blog. I'll bookmark your blog for future visit. keep posting good contents please. Thanks again.

kimera