Saturday, April 11, 2015

STAIRWEIGH TO HEAVEN

Stairway to Heaven is the most famous of all of of the songs by Led Zeppelin.  In fact, it is one of the most famous songs in rock and roll history. It is hard to imagine anyone not thinking that this is a great song. Although I admit, I can easily imagine it might be hard to convince Sara, my 13 year old daughter.  Perhaps if Taylor Swift covered the song, my daughter would become a Stairway to Heaven fan.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in their 1970's heyday.

I am not claiming that my weight loss is bringing me to any Stairway to Heaven.  In fact, I am hoping that my weight loss will facilitate a delay in my (hoped for) ascendency to heaven by a few years!  I will confess that I have no idea what Robert Plant is really singing about, but he sings it with such emotion, so it must mean something!

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.


Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The most meaningful lyrics for me are:

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder."

I was on a path, that could have led to to a whole collection of bad outcomes... I was lucky that there was still time for met to change the road that I was on.  And you know what?  When I think about how long it took me to get to 309 lbs and when I think about how long it took me to summon the will to make a change, and then how quickly I was able to reverse the course of my life.... IT MAKES ME WONDER (WHAT TOOK SO LONG?)


220.2 lbs


I weigh 220.2 lbs.
I lost 9.4 lbs this week.
I lost 88.8 lbs in 108 days. Today begins Day 109.
I have lost 13 inches on my waist. 
I have already (uncomfortably) squeezed into 36"pants
I will always be at the beginning of a journey that never ends.
I weigh 220.2 lbs. (108 days ago I weighed 309 lbs)
I have lost 28.7% of my weight since Dec 24.
I have lost 4.0of my weight since last Saturday!
I have had an astoundingly successful week losing 9.4 lbs.
I have a BMI, body mass index of 29.24 (NO LONGER OBESE)
That bears repeating: Marc Jacobs is no longer obese!
I will need to find a rooftop - so I can shout it out!
I had a 42.0 BMI on 12.24.14 just 108 days ago (Class III obesity)
I wonder about achieving a 'normal weight' - the charts say 186.8 lbs - I'm not too sure about that...
I have two 'words' to describe how I feel right now - ec static!
...I know how to begin this week... 
32 minutes ELLIPTICAL

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

FRIDAY MENU


breakfast  Quaker Oats instant oatmeal, two sunnyside up eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon   290 calories
lunch        JASON'S DELI SEAFOOD GUMBO - BOWL                                              230 calories
dinner       JIMMY JOHN'S bootlegger unwich extra veggies, extra Dijon mustard  
                 one cup Panera Bread Low-Fat Chicken Tortilla Soup                                   360 calories

total calories consumed 880 calories

CALORIES BURNED:
9AM  elliptical 32 minutes (first time machine set to level 15)  497 calories

FRIDAY NET CALORIES  383 CALORIES

There is some irony in that up until yesterday, I had visited a Jason's Deli in nine different locations, sprinkled among five different states:
Cincinnati, Ohio
St Louis, Missouri
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Topeka, Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas
Indianapolis, Indiana
Normal, Illinois
Schaumburg, Illinois
Park Ridge, Illinois
but I had not been to the Jason's Deli a mere 1.6 miles from my home and on the very same street in downtown Chicago.  Today, I finally visited my local Jason's Deli after a dental appointment.

Jason's Deli, 195 North Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois (just 1.6 miles from my home!)
SEAFOOD GUMBO for lunch yesterday, outstanding as usual




No comments: