Friday, January 9, 2015

CURB YOUR METABOLISM

Curbing one's metabolism is precisely what one does not want to do if one is trying to lose weight.  Losing weight is a balancing act.  The rate of one's metabolism is the rate at which one's body is 'burning' calories.  A faster metabolic rate means that your body is burning calories faster. There are some things that one can do to reduce one's metabolic rate that should be AVOIDED when possible.

SKIPPING MEALS Bad idea. Skip a meal and your body starts rearing up for famine. If a famine  is on the way, the metabolic rate slows down to conserve strength.

SLEEP DEPRIVATION One that does not get enough sleep can become less active on the following day.  Less activity, lower metabolic rate, slower calorie burn.

FREQUENT NAPS Too much sleep has the same bad effect.   It takes awhile for the body to firing on all cylinders after slowing down to nap.

DEHYDRATION   'Burning' calories requires enough water. If one's cells are insufficiently hydrated, metabolic rate can slow.

LACK OF EXERCISE As one adds fat to the body, the metabolic rate slows.

FATTY FOODS  Body receives 'fat' and tries to store as much of it as possible for the future. This slows your metabolism.

DENYING YOURSELF CAFFEINE If you drink caffeine. That is one habit that should not be ended for weight loss. Caffeine raises your metabolic rate.  This does not mean that you should have 3 cups of coffee with heavy cream before breakfast. It does not mean a Starbucks Venti Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino (590 CALORIES)

WEIGHT GAIN This is my 'favorite'.  Let's see, gaining weight makes it harder to lose weight. When one gains weight, one's metabolism slows.  Not good.

 BALANCING ACT....
 GET ENOUGH SLEEP - DON'T SLEEP TOO MUCH
 MAKE SURE TO EAT REGULARLY - DON'T SKIP MEALS
 EAT ENOUGH TO FUEL YOUR BODY - DON'T EAT TOO MUCH

I have already made my request for my home-cooked dinner this evening when I return home.   My wife has been amazingly supportive.  Thank you, Jennifer.

I am very much looking forward to stepping onto my scale tomorrow morning.   This is what I have to promise myself before I do that.... If my results are less than I am anticipating, I cannot let any disappointment curb my enthusiasm for going forward.  This was the type of mistake that derailed me  seven years ago.   I am repeating my successes.  I am not repeating my mistakes.
                                           



               

No comments: