Friday, January 2, 2015

THE TELL-TALE BELT

I recently learned something from my daughter, Sara, whose 7th grade homework included studying the 1843 Edgar Allan Poe short story, "The Tell-Tale Heart." tell-tale is an indicator that conveys the status of a situation.  In Edgar Allan Poe's story, the loud beating of the (tell-tale) heart betrayed the narrator of the story.   

I wear a 'tell-tale belt."   I might be one of the only people that can wear the same belt whether my waistline is north of 50 inches or just south of 40 inches.   When I lost weight, seven years ago, I started with my XL belt and as I lost weight, I kept on tightening it.  I eventually ran out of 'holes.'    I solved this by simply poking holes through the leather and got joy out of seeing how much additional belt I was not needing as I shed my weight.   Once my waistline got below 40 inches, I did finally buy a brand new fashionable belt.   As I started gaining weight, I had to put my new belt in storage and start using my old belt.   Slowly over a period of months, I needed more and more belt to secure my trousers.  It did finally get to the point where I was using more belt than I ever had before.   Perhaps it was this that finally triggered in my mind that it was time for a change.  I am going to enjoy wearing my "tell-tale belt" for the next few months as I shed weight.   And when I reduce my waistline to "only" 40 inches - I have a brand-new belt waiting for me!



No comments: