Thursday, January 29, 2015

HEALTHLY LIVING IS A MORAL OBLIGATION

Many days that I blog, it is as if I am writing to myself.  I am trying to understand myself.  I am even trying to understand where this new-found perseverance has come from. Today, I am not trying to be funny or amusing. I am being brutally honest with myself. I learned as a young kid that 'honesty is the best policy', it certainly is not an easy policy.

Today, I am publicly stating what I was far too ashamed to admit for the past seven years.

HEALTHY LIVING IS A MORAL OBLIGATION

If each of us lived on our own world with no children, no spouse, no family and no friends - it would not matter how we chose to live.   We could make every wrong decision to adversely affect our health and it would affect no one else.  We would not have a moral obligation to take care of ourselves.

None of us live in a world like that.

We all live in a world with children, spouses, parents, family and friends.
WE DO HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO TRY TO LIVE AS HEALTHY AS POSSIBLE.
I didn't just figure this out now - when I was packing on the pounds despite the fact that I have a wife and child - I knew that my behavior was not only stupid, but it was immoral. Apparently my desire to eat the way I did (to have 'fun' eating) overwhelmed my desire to behave morally.

In recent years, my Father asked me a very hard question.  The question was not difficult to understand, but it was hard to answer since my actions were not in accordance with my answer. My Father asked me, with regard to my dangerous overweight condition, "Don't you want to be around and see your daughter grow up?"   The question was a hard one; not because my answer was yes. It was hard as my actions were in conflict with my desire.  A parent has a moral obligation to try to live as healthy as possible. Morbid Obesity is dangerous. It can be a gateway to all kinds of devastating health problems.

* * *

Here is a tougher assessment.  One who walks around with no regard to their own health, who continues to add to their morbid obesity without making an effort to change - is being selfish.  It brings me no joy for me to admit that for seven years I was behaving selfishly in this regard.   I thank God, that he gave me time and the opportunity to make changes in my life.   Not everyone gets this opportunity.  I was lucky.

You might now accuse me of being a hypocrite. You might say, that since I am trying to reverse a lifestyle that I have so freely lived for the past seven years, isn't it now easy for me to claim that I am being more moral now? Yes, of course, it is easier.  This short essay is addressed to me, the me of the future. Now it is my job to remember this, so that there is no going back to that selfish, all-you-can-eat lazy lifestyle. It would be immoral.

Every day we awaken at the intersection of Right & Wrong.  There is always an opportunity to go the Right Way.

Easy decisions often take you on the wrong path.  Moral decisions are always on the right path.  It is a moral obligation that we all have to our spouse, children, parents, family and friends to try to live as healthy as possible.  It is not easy, we may not always succeed but we are morally bound to try.   (As Bart Simpson says: we should 'try to try')


WEDNESDAY MENU

BREAKFAST   three poached eggs, 2 strips turkey 'bacon'                                     280 CALORIES
LUNCH             1 cup chicken broth, 4 oz. salmon filet, zucchini pancake              303 CALORIES
DINNER            4 oz Seafood Blend, 1 cup clam chowder, iceberg lettuce wedge
                            one Tbsp Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing                              263 CALORIES

TOTAL CALORIC CONSUMPTION        846 CALORIES

CALORIES BURNED

5AM  TREADMILL: 60 minutes @ 4 mph (4 miles) 600 CALORIES
6PM   TREADMILL: 60 minutes @ 4 mph (4 miles) 600 CALORIES
8PM   TREADMILL: 60 minutes @ 4 mph (4 miles) 600 CALORIES

NET CALORIC DEFECIT     954 CALORIES


Delicious Dinner: 4 oz. Seafood Blend (Shrimp/Scallops/Calamari) lettuce wedge, clam chowder 263 CALORIES





No comments: