Friday, January 16, 2015

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE?

My five day, four night tour of the Kansas City area ended yesterday.   I left Independence, Missouri at 11:30AM after a particularly good early morning appointment.   I was in a hurry to arrive home so that I might possibly meet my family at the Pediatrician as my daughter was suffering from a virus.  I knew I would not have time for lunch, so I departed Independence with two bananas and two apples.   That was my lunch.  (Not quite as satisfactory as lunch at Jason's Deli or Panera Bread) I drove 500 miles for 8 hours straight  with only three extremely short breaks.    I met my family at the doctor and finally arrived home in Chicago at 8:00PM.   Admittedly I was hungry.  Nevertheless, the very first thing I did was spend twenty minutes on my home elliptical machine. Now I have a baseline for what I can and cannot do with this type of exercise.   On my home machine I set the 'resistance' to '10.' (This was a low level.)   I struggled yet still managed to complete a twenty minute segment.   The machine indicated that I 'burned' 275 calories.   My heart rate at the conclusion was 150 BPM.   Had I set the 'resistance' any higher it would have been futile - I was struggling enough as it was.

Thursday marked the 21st consecutive day that I have managed to consume less than 1000 calories.  I continue to surprise myself.   This is the same guy who one month ago was eating and snacking virtually 24 hours per day. (Only sleep kept me from eating.)   For the past three weeks I have not had a snack.   There have been times when I was hungry - but my willpower to train myself to eat only breakfast, lunch and dinner was stronger than my desire to eat something. My resistance has not been futile.   I guess resistance is futile only applies if confronted by The Borg.  Perhaps that is not quite true. Didn't Captain Picard mustered just enough resistance to help the good folks of the U.S.S. Enterprise?

This morning, I resisted the urge to step onto my scale.  I am simply going to wait until tomorrow morning.   It was almost futile to resist the urge to weigh myself today - but I managed.

This afternoon I have gum surgery scheduled.   I am looking forward to answering a question that is always asked when I go to the dentist.  "Are there any changes in your medical condition since your last visit?"   My answer this time will finally be emphatically, "Yes."   I have gotten healthier.   In fact, I am eager to have my blood pressure checked this afternoon as I will be able to see if there has been any improvement from past readings, and especially the reading that I had during my 'wellness' exam way, way back on  December 24, 2014.

The BORG were wrong.  RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE.


No comments: