Thursday, January 22, 2015

MY FIRST MARATHON (WELL...NOT EXACTLY)

Yesterday I completed a marathon.   If you are imagining a road race when everyone starts in the early morning and traverses a course of 26.2 miles - that is not the kind marathon that I completed.

However, this week I have already walked more than 26.2 miles on my treadmill.
SATURDAY     4 MILES
SUNDAY          4 MILES
MONDAY         4 MILES in the morning
                         4 MILES in the evening
TUESDAY        4 MILES in the morning
                         4 MILES in the evening
WEDNESDAY  4 MILES
                                               TOTAL MILES WALKED SO FAR THIS WEEK - 28 MILES

After my treadmill workout on Wednesday I had 'travelled ' more than 26 miles this week.
I am aware that this is not really a spectacular accomplishment for active people.
I do know that this represents MORE TREADMILL miles than I have logged in the last seven years combined.   So, instead of focusing on the atrocious record of inactivity that I was mired in for the past seven years, I choose to celebrate the fact that I have come to appreciate the value of exercise and I have now remembered how good I feel afterwards.

Once again, this involves the fun/happiness dichotomy that Dennis Prager has explained.
It is NOT FUN to spend one hour on the treadmill.
I do know that after I do, I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I DID.

THE TREADMILL: BEST PLACE TO TAKE A 4 MILE WALK DURING WINTER IN CHICAGO

WEDNESDAY MENU

BREAKFAST   Three poached eggs w/two slices turkey 'bacon'                      280 CALORIES
LUNCH            Salmon Burger, Asparagus Spears, Pumpkin Soup                 245 CALORIES
DINNER           MAHI MAHI 5oz, 12 Brussel Sprouts, Cup Clam Chowder      350 CALORIES

TOTAL CALORIC INTAKE 875 CALORIES

MORNING EXERCISE 60 MINUTES ELLIPTICAL MACHINE  BURNED 800 CALORIES
EVENING EXERCISE 60 MINUTES WALKING 4 MPH              BURNED 600 CALORIES

NET CALORIC DEFECIT 525 CALORIES    


THANK YOU JENNIFER.
Jennifer is my wife and she has been terrific.  Preparing all my foods at home, and using the precise measurements that my calorie counting demand.  Jennifer has been amazing and is really cheering me on. 


LUNCH: PUMPKIN SOUP, ASPARAGUS, SALMON BURGER  245 CALORIES

DINNER: MAHI MAHI 5OZ, BRUSSEL SPROUTS,  CUP MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWER  350 CALORIES

ONLY TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL I JUMP ON THE SCALE AGAIN.... I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT....



No comments: