Tuesday, January 13, 2015

THREE COURSE MEAL - 510 CALORIES

Yesterday I started out with two apples for breakfast and Jason's Deli spicy shrimp gumbo for lunch.  Since I have established a routine of keeping my caloric intake under 1000 calories per day, I still had more than 500 calories 'in the bank."

I returned to Jason's Deli (Lawrence, Kansas) and was able to order what I now define as a three-course meal.   There is nothing that I have ordered at Jason's which has not been delicious and satisfying.   I am trying to make an effort to explore the many possibilities available to me.   Last night I ordered something new:

BEEF STEW - BOWL    250 CALORIES
TURKEY WRAP HALF  200 CALORIES 
FRUIT SIDE ORDER        60 CALORIES (served with a creamy fruit dip which I ignored!)

TOTAL DINNER (three-course meal) 510 CALORIES         ($9.98)

After I was finished with this delicious dinner I was completely satisfied.   The chances of me ordering a fruit side with my meal prior to this lifestyle adjustment would have been zero.   Surely I would have ordered chips.   Basically every decision I ever made with regard to food was usually either wrong or very wrong.   If I may borrow the title from a Jim Carrey movie, my choices were 'Dumb and Dumber.'  The time has been long overdue for me to 'Get Smart.'  These days I feel like I am in CONTROL.

I visited two websites this morning, WebMD.com and healthstatus.com which both have a CALORIE BURN CALCULATOR.   I discovered that I might have been underestimating the caloric benefit of exercise.   This morning I walked 3 miles, @ 4 mph (45 minutes).  Both calorie calculators on these two websites indicated that my calories burned was 500!   This is amazing.   I guess it goes a long way to explain my weight loss results with my 1000 calorie per day intake.
 
Weight loss is supposed to be simple (exercise more, eat less) but not easy (it takes perseverance) These days it does seem easy. So where was I the last 7 years?   I'll tell you.... I don't know.

Jason's Deli: 3-course meal: beef stew, half turkey wrap, side order fruit: 510 calories

No comments: