Sunday, January 18, 2015

GRADUATION FROM CLASS III

I am still in a state of euphoria as a result of the quick progress I have been making since I started my lifestyle change. My weight dropped from 309 lbs. to 284.7 lbs. in twenty four days.

And now... The Reality Check

The ICD (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems ) diagnosis from my doctor when I visited for my 'wellness' exam on December 24, 2014 was CODE 278.01 Morbid Obesity.   Neither one of these two words evokes health, and the two of them together are really nasty.  Obesity is determined by one's BMI (Body Mass Index)

BMI is calculated by dividing mass by the square of height
Metric: \mathrm{BMI}=\frac{\mathrm{kilograms}}{\mathrm{meters}^2}
US/Customary and imperial\mathrm{BMI}=\mathrm{pounds}\frac{703}{\mathrm{inches}^2}

My medical report on December 24th indicated a BMI of 42.0
My height is 6'1" (73 inches) 
I have recently been brushing up on my algebra as I am tasked with helping my daughter with her 7th grade homework, so I even checked the math, and I did get the same result.

Different BMI results indicate different classifications.   On December 24, 2014 my result put me in CLASS III OBESITY.   

BMIClassification
        < 18.5    underweight
   18.5–24.9    normal weight
   25.0–29.9    overweight
   30.0–34.9    class I obesity
   35.0–39.9    class II obesity
         ≥ 40.0       class III obesity  

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT I HAVE GRADUATED.

BMI=294.7 x 703 divided by (73 squared) = 38.9

As you can see I have GRADUATED TO CLASS II OBESITY.

I am aware that it is a stupid thing to be so cheerful about,  but I do need to get 'promoted' one class at a time.

My ultimate goal will be to be considered NORMAL.  For that I will have to weigh 189 lbs.
My original thinking was to get down to the 'neighborhood' of 200 lbs.
I do not know if I will get all the way down to 189 lbs.
Once I am down to 200 lbs. - maybe then, and only then I could claim I have big bones.
(That excuse doesn't really explain an extra 100 lbs. - maybe it could explain 11 lbs.)
180 lbs. was my weight was when I was 17 years old and in tip top shape.
I think I have some time to think about it!

Another good day eating yesterday:
Breakfast: Three poached eggs, two strips of turkey 'bacon.'         280 CALORIES
Lunch: One 5oz. Roasted Garlic Mahi Mahi                                  160 CALORIES                        
Dinner: Two Salmon Burgers                                                          220 CALORIES

TOTAL CALORIC CONSUMPTION FOR THE DAY WAS 660.
YESTERDAY BEGAN WITH A 60 MINUTE 4 MILE WALK @ 4 MPH - 600 CALORIES


BODY MASS INDEX CHART, WITH MY NEW WEIGHT OF 284.7 lbs, AT LEAST I AM ON THE CHART!

There is one other option, but I fear its practicality is questionable.   I could conceivably remain 294.7 lbs and simply INCREASE MY HEIGHT to 7' 8" (ninety two inches tall)
At that height, I could remain 294.7 lbs and have a normal BMI.
294.7 x 703 divided by 92 squared = 24.47 BMI 
Where would one find a medieval rack in Chicago?


Alternate Plan: Maintain Weight, Gain Height. I don't think so. I will stick with Plan 'A' maintain height, LOSE WEIGHT


No comments: