Tuesday, January 6, 2015

TRUE MEANING OF BREAKFAST

The word 'breakfast' was created from two smaller words: break & fast.   I checked my dictionary and  'fast' is defined: 'to abstain from food.'   In this context, the word 'break' is defined: to end. Ergo, breakfast is the ending of the abstention from food.   In my previous lifestyle which ended way, way back on December 24, 2014 I would think nothing of having a snack at 11PM, or Midnight, or 1AM in the morning.  My overnight 'fast' could have been as short as six hours.  I am usually an early riser, so no matter what time I had eaten the night before, my day would start with an extremely non-nutritious 'breakfast.'   If I could go back in time and visit my former self sitting down to a 'breakfast' of two bagels, or two bowls of sugar flavored cereal, or two doughnuts... I might now say to myself, "I do not think this word, 'breakfast' means what you think it means." (Inspiration from this imaginary quote comes from Inigo Montoya in the movie,  'The Princess Bride')      Last evening, I finished my dinner at 7:00PM and now at 7:00AM the next morning, I am ready to BREAK MY FAST.   It is true that this chaffing dish of 'hotel eggs' might have looked less appealing to me a few weeks ago - I just spent 30 minutes in the fitness room walking two miles - I am hungry.   Bon Appetit.

La Quinta Hotel Breakfast : two 'egg' patties 200 CALORIES

No comments: