Monday, January 12, 2015

WHAT A WHOPPER!

WHOPPERS: not the most effective way of adding protein to one's diet
It is probably a very good thing that I am not a regular Wal-Mart shopper.  Yesterday, on the way to Kansas City I stopped at a Wal-Mart to buy some zero calorie flavored Sparkling Water. I passed the candy aisle I decided to look at some labels. Now for most of my life I would be the guy who thought it would be a good idea to buy a box of WHOPPERS CHOCOLATE MALT BALLS as I settled into my seat to watch the latest James Bond or Star Trek movie at the cinema.   I never did enjoy paying nearly $4 for the privilege.  Wal-Mart offers this box of candy for only 98 cents.   This is the type of candy that a guy like me could easily devour in 15 minutes (and of course, still feel hungry and unsatisfied afterwards). You cannot imagine my surprise when I examined this 5 oz. box of Whoppers.

190 CALORIES PER SERVING nothing spectacular about that information - it's candy!
SERVING SIZE 18 MALT BALLS That's it? Why 18? For Good Luck?
SERVINGS PER CONTAINER 3.5 Let's be honest, one box of candy IS one serving!
TOTAL CALORIES FOR THIS TASTY CONFECTION 665 CALORIES  Not good, not healthy.
An actual BURGER KING WHOPPER is 650 calories  At least there you are getting some meat.

On the 'bright side' - THEY ARE KOSHER! 

For the past 19 days, I have consumed a fraction more calories in a whole day than what can be found in that box.   These are the types of 'food' items that really help a person balloon up to 309 lbs.  These are precisely the types of 'food' items that I will be avoiding in the future.   Earlier in one of my blogs, I had estimated that there must have been days when I consumed 5000 calories. (Perhaps I was underestimating)  

On the way to Kansas City yesterday I had mapped out a route that would direct me to a Jason's Deli in the St. Louis area.  This minor 9 mile detour rewarded me with a delicious 540 calorie lunch: Spicy Seafood Gumbo Bowl & Amy's Turkey Half Sandwich.  That was a very satisfying detour.

The hotel that I stayed in the first night only had one working fitness machine.  So I hopped onto something called a BOWFLEX TreadClimber TC5000 and logged thirty minutes.  This machine combined walking and step climbing. The machine estimated that I expended 140 calories. I used some new muscles that have been lying dormant for quite some time. It was a struggle to get to 30 minutes.

Before I checked out of my hotel this morning, I climbed back on the BOWFLEX and this time I reduced the speed of my workout and doubled my workout time.   I 'burned' 185 calories and this was the best workout that I have had since I started two weeks ago.  Everything about this specific workout was positive: time spent on machine, calories burned, feeling great afterwards.

HERSHEY COMPANY WHOPPERS pack a wallopping 665 calories!





No comments: